Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

So it continues 0385

Well, finally got 0385 back as discussed recently. I have gone ahead and taken it to a mate who at the time was not able to do the bodywork. He has assessed the work carried out so far and has given it a massive thumbs down.i think the sill and floor fabricating and replacing was ok but the finish was lousy so Pete's gonna redo it properly.ofcourse it has raised the question "how far do we go"?You may remember me saying when I got it, I wasn't sure how far to go. This was in some part to do with the fact that Pete wasn't available for body repairs but it has been fairly well treated to a mechanical restoration.it is now at Pete's paint shop and I have decided to do it properly.i will take some photos as we go along and post up all being well. The decision was also helped by the fact that a lad that I have taken on as a rep in my business is also a very good mechanic so can utilise him in work or send him down to Pete's to fettle. He really enjoys working on motors so win win So today he took the engine out. I will nip in and take some photos tomorrow.The first part of the plan is to clean and de-rust front subframe and chassis bits that are accessible then paint and under seal etc where appropriate. Detail engine bay paintwork. Remove Rocker Cover, Inlet manifold and timing belt cover and powder coat. Blast and clean anything that looks tatty and clean what can be cleaned. Replace timing belt kit and aux belt tensioner whilst engine is out.Will most likely replace wishbones and clean and paint any components that are easily seen when wheels are off.May get calliper sliders powder coated too.Pretty fortunate that my mate is renting his paint shop space from a mate of his who does powder coating in the same building.wheels will get repainted with correct colour paint. Then it remains for Pete to repaint the new bonnet I got. Paint front bumper, slam panel, wings as the paint has cracked on one, spoiler, sills and rear door. Fit new kick plate decals.Finish by restoring plastics and rubbers. Also putting a new windscreen in it.Think that does it off the top of my head but no doubt more things will crop up.Could do with a new Exh manifold heat shield, any ideas? May by some heat shield bandage and wrap the old manifold.Anybody else done this?Will finally put some new boots on it and in fear of everybody saying "Search the Forum" what does anybody recommend?Crikey, me banging on (so boring)More shortly,Lew

Forum User
    Oh, a couple of shots of issues found. First of these shows the rust starting on where the sill was joined in under wing at front. Rusting already after been done 3 months ago. Obviously wasn't wax oiled etc.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Then a small hole rotted through on front panel. Will need patching etc
    [IMG]
    [/IMG]

And one of bonnet showing me why I thought it wise to get a new one
    [IMG][/IMG]

Been there done that good luck, hopefully its not a tea bag like mine was

Forum User
    Aye, followed yours when poss. Still, I feel lucky that I've got the right people on the job and am trying to do it properly.
    Few pics of some progress :-
    [IMG]

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

So I'm thinking of powder coating Rocker cover and inlet manifold and timing belt upper cover in a 449 colour blue. Still undecided but thought it might look sweet.
    Whadya reckon?
    Car will get new clutch and cable and new powder coated wishbones with power flex bushes and anti roll bar links and bushes.
    Found a core plug that needs replacing plus power steer pipes and some coolant pipes that I think feed the oil cooler.

Wheels .....?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    DONE
    I think they look fine.

More in a bit

Forum User
    Coming along:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IM
    G]
    Quite a few obstacles on the way so far. Renault couldn't supply the correct Power Steer pipes so had a company make me some new ones using the good bits on the old ones.
    Needed an oil cooler as it was leaking (£150)
    Gearbox cleaned and painted but hard to see under clingfilm
    [IMG][/IMG]

Got the engine components powdered - not too sure but hey the ho, too late now. More photos of those shortly
    Manifold cleaned and painted ready for heat tape rap (is that a song) ;)
    [IMG][/IMG]

More in a bit

Forum User
    So just spent 20 mins uploading a few more but it doesn't seem to have worked

Try again: Be brave, you, not me

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

marmite reactions abound, I think I likey

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Subframe needed some TLC

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

And Motor:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Shall I keep them coming?

Forum User
    Nice work! Deffo keep the pics coming! watching with interest!

Not 100% on the engine personally, id rather more of a OR look, but each to their own! Still, it does look pretty clean!

Dunc

Please do! Now that's the way to change the oil filter. Not sure on the blue bits myself but it's your car and when it's all back together I think it'll work well.

Forum User
    Thanks for kind comments. Kinda not 100% on blue bits but I think it'll look good when in.
    Engine nearly built up now and blue going on panels.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Forum User
    In 2 minds about putting a silicone coolant hose set on. Samco just too expensive.
    Original hoses are all in good nick so probably just replace clips.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]