clutch and flywheel

Im looking into a 172 clutch and flywheel.

Anyone got opinions on what I should do.

1. Standard 172 clutch from either Ktec or RPD (RPD £33 cheaper at £133) and lightened KTR flywheel from KTEC for £298.
    2. Up-rated 172 clutch I.E helix at about £300 and lightened flywheel.

Is the standard 172 clutch enough of an up-grade from the Williams one?

No and the car wont run with it fitted

Why not? I'm also fitting an omex ecu if that's the reason you're saying no.

Ah, in that case you need a 172 or megane flywheel

Unless you're going for silly power turbo I don't think there's much point going to the 172 stuff as the uprated clutch options for Williams fitment flywheel are cheaper so I'd say copy what I'm doing & get this from TTV http://ttvracing.com/product/clio-wi...cturer=renault and use a Volvo 480 turbo clutch

The reason I am wanting to go with 172 stuff is it seems to be cheaper if sticking with the standard valeo clutch which I can get for £80 and the 2.9KG KTR lightened flywheel from Ktec at £298. If I get a 172 clutch doesn't that mean I need a soft pedal 172 conversion as the standard clutch fork wont match 172 bearing? Do you still use the standard cable?

If I go up-rated Williams clutch it will be about £350 plus £298 for the TTV racing flywheel which is heavier at 3.2KG.

Sorry for all the questions but you also seem to readily reply .

You can fit a R5GT turbo uprated clutch to a standard williams if thats any help

Uprated clutch for the williams is a bit of a bullshit marketing thing unless we're talking paddle clutches. All an uprated clutch is - & was marketed as such back in the day - is a standard clutch from another car, the only difference being the strength of the springs in the pressure plate giving more clamping force.

From the perspective of a valver, the level of uprated going upwards is williams - R5GTT - volvo 480 turbo. I paid £40 for my volvo clutch

As for the soft pedal stuff, it's not essential to use it as all you do is use a williams release bearing instead, they're compatible with the 172 stuff as the only difference is the tabs on the back for the fork to slot into.

The soft clutch conversion is a really nice thing to have so can highly reccommend it
    You use the original clutch cable as well, all that you do for the soft clutch is fit the bracket to the box where the cable normally goes then fit the cable into the bracket - see the pink bits in the pic

Northy, I was aware of being able to us an R5GT Turbo clutch... but only from a forum search .

Yeah I think ill just go with the pedal conversion seems logical to make the clutch function a little more user friendly. Any chance that you have a soft pedal set up for sale??

Quite obviously your engine upgrades have exceeded mine ha.

Not got 1 for sale but shouldn't be too difficult to find as it's on quite a few different Renaults like the 172/182, Megane etc, today I discovered a Scenic has the same thing

A Scenic....class I'm off to rob the neighbour.