Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to modify and fit replacement sills

As per title. I've read somewhere that to replace the sills on the Williams, a bog standard sill has to be purchased and. Modified. Can one advise on the best method and best place to purchase these.

There's a few places that sell them so they're not difficult to source. Most people get them from http://www.carz2.co.uk/

As for the modifying, it depends how much of the sill you're replacing and where. For example if the front half is being done it's simply a case of cut to the required length & weld it in.
    If at the rear or the whole sill, the replacement panel needs to be cut shorter and then shaped by good old fashioned panel beating to match the shape where it meets the rear arch.

As for the best method, it's always gonna be get someone that does this sort of thing for a living to do it

Paddy I've tried to fit a replacement sill, but because the rear of the sill has to go wider for the arch the bump or crease is in the wrong place. I got the end shape right but unfortunately where I tried to weld was very thin and keeps blowing. This means I really need to get a new panel and cut above the crease.
    Is there a link to a project where somebody has pictures.
    Any help would be appreciated.

have a look in the projects section. Phil is restoring 0180 as we speak.

Thanks Northy
    Pm sent

I must get into the project section

Quote Originally Posted by katbloke View Post
    It's September since you last put some pics on Clio off to be derusted. The audience is now desperate for an update. Desperate!

It's too good to just let it dribble out of steam.

My resto images wont be much help as I have not got that far in the updates Northy.
    However in the projects section andreas395 has uploaded lots of images and on page 3 of his thread there are images of exactly what Mack1 is looking for.
    His thread is titled "My Williams 1 & 2 Restoration project"
    Good luck Mack1

Just an additional note Mack1 - if I were you I would not cut above the swage line (or crease) as this carries the natural flair of the rear 1/4 and it would then be very hard to recreate accurately.
    As long as the metal around the swage line is good, cut below this and use the new sill section to create the wider section of the sill. If you look at Andreas395's thread you will see what I mean.

I'm not a welder, but the guy who did the welding on my car said that the metal is very thin on the Williams and he had to slowly weld the thin sections in by gradual build up of spot welds, cooling the welds as he went along - I'm sure that you know this already though 😉.

Quote Originally Posted by katbloke View Post
    Open that wallet Graham, commit to the forum 👍