Forum User

marking flywheel

Hello

Does anybody knows how the marking on the Williams flywheel works? When cyl 1 (nearest flywheel) is in TDC the marking on the flywheel points to a little bump on the engine block(about 45 degr. to the left from the middle). Is this ok?
    I have problems to get the engine running after a rebuild. The flywheel was demounted from the crank shaft. Mechanical the timing markings on the timing belt are ok when cyl1 is in TDC and the both valves ars closed.

Regardig the teeth on the flywheel: there are shorter teeth all around the flywheel(not to confuse with the ones on the starter ring). But there are 2 times longer teeth 180 degr. in opposite of each other. I think that they are used to determine the ignition. But when cyl 1 is in TDC and ready for ingition the longer teeth are not close to the crank case sensor on top of the flywheel.

What is wrong?
    /Ronald
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the engine is at TDC then that is the correct position for the flywheel. You cannot put the fly onto the crank incorrectly due to the way the bolts line up.

Will the engine not fire?

Paul

Forum User
    As above it will only fit on one way anyway. the crank sensor may be dirty or dead.. try a new one

The marking on the flywheel is supposed to line up with the markings on the gearbox which has a window in it to be able to see the mark.

But ignore the flywheel & stick a long rod into the cylinder closest to the cambelt and turn the engine over by hand until the rod gets to the very top of it's travel - that is TDC

Forum User
    Thanks guys. I will check the marking against the gear box. If the flywheel will fit only one way(now if have just replaced it with 2 bolts mounted). And no the engine does not fire. With startgas it will shortly.

Forum User
    Marking was ok. Flywheel just fits one way. I think the problem is that the immobiliser is doing its thing. See my other thread.