Replacement brake lines - questions

I hope that some of you knowledgeable people on here can help me out with some questions that I have about replacemet brake lines. I am at the point in my rstoration where I am starting to put things back on the car, I have images of most things but I have realised that this does not necessarly give me all the info that I need.

1/ First of all can you confirm that the position of the connections to the master cylinder are as follows;
    [/URL]

2/ The 2 lines that run along the bulkhead and then under the car to the rear brake balance have different connections, one has a male connection and the other has a female connection. Is this important or relevant?
    Why not just have male connectors on the pipes leading from the master cylinder and then female connectors on the sections running back to the brake?

3/ Anyone know the specifications for the Male unions that Renault use?
    I have noted the the 2 male connectors leading from the rear brake balance to the flexes are a bigger size, anyone know what the size is.

4/ Lastly - of the 2 brake pipes leading to the rear brake balance, of the two installation options does it matter which way round they go in?

I did say lastly, but just one more question. I have not been totally dumb and I did keep all the brake lines from the car so that I could copy the pattern when refitting. I have measured all of the lines using the string method so that I can order them to be made up (I dont have the necessary flaring kit).

I think that my measurements are OK, but thought it was worth asking if anyone had any measurements that they had made in the past for comparison, my measurements are listed below.

First sections
    Front OS brake pipe - 48cm
    Rear brake pipe (positioned OS on the floor pan) - 125cm Measurement to bulkhead brake union
    Fear brake pipe (positioned NS on the floor pan) - 149cm Measurement to bulkhead brake union
    Front NS brake pipe - 140cm

Runs under the car
    OS running pipe from front union to brake balance - 284cm
    NS running pipe from front union to brake balance - 288cm

Brake balance to flexy unions
    Pig tail pipe - 62cm
    Other pipe - 67cm

Flexy union to caliper
    Union to NS rear caliper - 95cm
    Union to OS rear caliper - 73cm

I hope that these questions make sense and I hope that someone can help with the answers,
    Cheers, Phil

All the brake lines are 4.75mm (3/16), I used Cupronickel. Don't bother getting cut lengths, the length changes as you put the bends in. You WILL make mistakes as there's sooooo many bends. I accurately measured one OE pipe, made up a straight line of replacement pipe, then was well short when it came to connecting it up!

Get a flaring tool like this (ebay item 171616284265).It's what I used and I can't fault it, it makes perfect flares. You can then cut and flare when at the perfectly correct length.

Also, a pipe straightener is essential (http://www.frost.co.uk/coiled-tube-t...ol-316-od.html). This thing is magical, and oddly addictive!!

Use all male fixings as its easier, so for the connections just outside of the engine bay you'll need two male-to-male connectors.

I didn't take any specific pics of the brake lines once installed as I was on a roll and forgot! These are the best I've got.

Paul

I'd have lent you all the tools Phil, but the FIL has borrowed them for his MGB BT restoration and he lives in the NE.

Paul

Hi Paul, thats great advise thanks for coming back to me.
    Do you also need a cutting tool on top of the flaring and straightening tools that you mentioned?

just looked back at the images you posted of your finished car, its looks fantastic. Need to get mine finished now, summer is approaching. You will have to take a drive out to Formby.

Sorry yes, you'll need a small cutter. £3 from Screwfix!

I'll hopefully get across to you soon, if I ever get more than just 1 day off of work every two weeks! I can't complain though, the extra money has seen me right for 360's restoration.

Paul

I need to raise this question again, I thought that I had it sussed, but have realised today that I dont.

I could do with someone confirming which master cylinder outlets connect to which rear brake balance inputs.
    I know that the rear offside master cylinder output and the front nearside output go to the rear of the car, but I'm not sure which inputs on the rear brake balance they go to.

The rear brake balance has larger fittings on the Off Side front and rear and the smaller fittings on the Near Side front and rear connections.

Can anyone give me an "Idiots guide" as to what goes where please?
    I have taken thousands of images but this is the one area I clearly didnt take enough interest in when I was whipping out the brake lines. i have all the brake lines to copy but just need the connection details,

cheers, Phil

I'll have a look when I bet home today Phil

Paul

Greatly appreciated Paul 👍