Thread: Door Pins

Forum User

Door Pins

Hello, i'm in the process of fitting new door pins to fix a dropped door but i'm finding it pretty impossible to remove the sheaths that the pins sit in. Has anybody got a technique for this?

Hi there,
    Assume that you are referring to the brass top hat style bushes that are mounted on each hinge?
    each hinge has a top and a bottom bush, which butt together half way down the centre of the hinge, ideally you need to get a suitable drift which is small enough to push into the hole at an angle.

This will allow you to "feel" for the joining lip which when found you need to knock the bush out with a hammer.
    Its a difficult job as the join is hard to find, but as with all things patience and persistance are the keys.
    Watch your paintwork when you are trying to knock these out!

This is how I did it, it maybe that someone else on the forum will post an easier method......

Forum User
    Hi Phil, yeah you've got it in 1. I will keep patience and try and find the joining lip but it's not very obvious due to the sheaths being in the hinge for over 20 years! Thanks for your help.

Its probably the only job in my dismantling operation that I didnt take a photo of. Probably beacause as you are finding in principle its such a simple job, but its a real git.

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that with one of the bushes that didnt want to come out I used the end of the drift to lift up the edges of the top hat bush, so that I could pull it out with long nosed pliers. I know that one of them came out in pieces.
    Once you get one out the other is dead easy - good luck