Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 16V love

I'm a fan of it too, which has got me thinking. If I'm honest it's probably too nice (and expensive) for me to call it a project.

I'm leaning towards a Williams, but an attractive 16v project will probably fit the bill.

I'll keep my feelers out there and see what I can come across.

Thanks for the reply and apologies for digging up an old thread.

No apologies needed. It's an old thread I started and have a lot of time for. Keep us updated with your progress.

I certainly will. It might take a while to find the right one for my circumstances, but at least I've got a Cossie to play with in the meantime 😎

Poor relation?!?! The 16v is the Williams' big brother, the original, without which the Williams wouldn't exist respect your elders dammit!

The Williams is only a road going version of the Cup racer but with a cobbled together as cheaply as possible 2 litre engine & sold for homolgation purposes so not much in it in the grand scheme of things.

I'd say it's not so much as a mood change with regards to the 16v's, more a case of being forgotten about by the masses due to being overshadowed by the Williams and a lot have disappeared & are now fewer in numbers than the Williams.
    Last year being the 25th anniversary of the Clio itself has brought about a bit of resurgence of the 16v which is certainly reflected in the increase in value of them which has also been helped by the big increase in the value of the Williams in recent years.

As for buying a 16v, the grey 1 linked is at the top of the scale in terms of quality and I've told the guy selling it that it's probably too cheap as bringing 1 of the others available for sale atm up to the same standard will cost a hell of a lot more than the asking price. The grey J reg I've recently bought needs the best part of £2k spending on it to bring it up to the same standard and it cost me £2k just to buy it. Ok I paid over the odds for it as it wasn't actually for sale but I'd been after that particular car for nearly 7 years so I saw it as mine and nobody else is allowed to have it

There's a couple of projects up for sale on the facebook pages and prices are slowly on the up so probably beneficial to do it sooner rather than later

Here's my 2 Valvers

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 16v_paddy; 27-01-2017 at 23:56.

Great reply! There's no arguing with that. Having being scanning the net for 16v's and Williams', I'm certainly finding more Williams' out there.

There's only a couple of valvers. You've got a nice collection there.

Good morning,

I could not agree more with Paddy, sold my williams 2 and bought the 16V cup car from portugal at Fast classic.
    But 16V value is going up only because williams is pulling the train... I would say 16V for connaisseurs and Williams for speculators...

Cheers
    Fred

I'm liking this love for the 16v.

The Williams is only a road going version of the Cup racer but with a cobbled together as cheaply as possible 2 litre engine & sold for homolgation purposes so not much in it in the grand scheme of things.

Engine:

Reinforced & bored out block
    Larger valves
    New camshafts
    New, larger pistons
    New baffled sump
    New tubular exhaust manifold
    Oil cooler
    Crankshaft borrowed from the diesel engine

Suspension/chassis:
    Reinforced subframe
    New shocks
    New springs
    New suspension arms

Drivetrain:
    New reinforced gearbox
    New driveshafts

Interior and exterior we all know the differences.

Cheaply cobbled together? Not much in it? Come one Paddy!

If Renault would make such an upgrade to their current sporty variants we would all be licking the windows. They went as far as they could have gone in 1993 without making it an unviable undertaking. Saying that there is not much in it and that is was cheaply cobbled together is, in my opinion, a speculation.

The fact is that all the above gave the Williams a very different character.

This said, I do share the love with the Clio 16V! It is gorgeous and I really would like to have one.

Fdl76, nice to know that you bought the Portuguese Clio 16V, is it an original cup racer? I'm from Portugal and over there people comment it is not. But in the end, who cares, it must be a hoot to drive Well done! Is it already UK registered?

When you put it that way, the engine has had a lot of work done. I can only relate to my Cosworth, but that would cost thousands to upgrade those components.

Hi Gustavo,

What is a cup car??? It is a 16S or 16V car that was modified, shocks, cage, etc... Hernanni Roda entered the cup with a registered modified 16S to cup specs... Everybody has seen pics of the car in the cup with and with out the plate 38 22 CB... What more can I say!!!
    and most of cup car were repaired and or reshelled...

http://www.vmotorgarage.com/viatura/...upe-ex-trofeu/

1st owner Roda
    2nd owner not named but a pilot from TAP
    3rd owner the above link
    4th owner Fast classic
    5th me

Gustavo, please, if you have pictures of the Clio cup 1993/1994/1995, in Portugal?
    fgencarelli76@aol.com

cheers
    fred

PS: went for a drive this afternoon in the country side... ballistic!!!!