Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mapping with Omex ECU

As the title suggests need some info on mapping my Williams with an omex 6oo ECU

I recently had my car put on rollers and it returned a figure of 148HP, a flat spot was also evident around 4K something which can be felt when driving. Current car spec includes RN2002 cams with uprated pulleys, cone type induction kit, standard manifold and standard exhaust with no cat.

Plan is to upgrade exhaust to full supersprint system including manifold, silencer type cat replacement, straight through centre section and then bag box. I have already installed a custom induction system which basically consists of a closed carbon fibre box with cold air feed to standard induction pipe leading to spot light. I have also coated the external surface of the carbon box with reflective foil tape which works very well.

The idea is to use Omex to optimise full stainless exhaust system, cold air feed and cams while removing flat spot. I am aware that power increases are not gonna be massive but not bothered as what I really want is to make full potential of the few upgrades get rid of flat spot and just basically have car running at its optimum.

Some questions I have (some of which I have already researched here and some which I discussed with my tuner):

1. If I map with no cat and probably no Lambda? will I be able to put cat back in to pass emissions.
    2. As I need different flywheel is 172 flywheel and clutch best option? Are there other complete gearboxes which make more sense or is using the 172 clutch and flywheel best?
    3. Do I leave old ECU in car to operate dash board dials oil pressure, rev gauge etc?
    4. What Happens with ICV and TPS are these by-passed?
    5. Is standard ignition dizzy set up ok to use?
    6. Is best loom option to use one from Omex with blank ends and then have wired into car?

Is there any other major changes like the flywheel which are needed?

As I said I'v researched all this but just need more info before I decide what to do.

1. Do 2 maps, one without, one with
    2. Megane Flywheel
    3. Yes
    4. You will replace the TPS with a ford item likely
    5. No, will be replaced with a coil pack - maybe look at the megane item
    6. Likely a semi assembled loom - yes

Speak to Richard at OMEX. He will be able to assist.

/y0z

1. Find a "proper" MOT tester so that cat or no cat simply isn't an issue
    2. You can get a lightweight Williams flywheel with the megane trigger pattern from TTV - I'm ordering 2 in the next week or so, might be able to get a better price if I order 3 - but I think Omex now supports the standard trigger pattern & dizzy setup. If not Canems does, my car was the guinea pig test mule for it back in 2011 & it works perfectly
    3. No, old ecu goes in the bin as all the dials etc aren't wired into it
    4. Will use a TPS that's compatible with the Omex and the ICV can be bypassed _ nothing to stop you using it but the idle control function built into the Omex will do a better job than the ICV
    5. See No.2
    6. Treat any loom as a blank unless it's 2nd hand & removed from an F7 engined Clio. It'll need to be built up & spliced into other parts of the existing loom along with adding a compatible TPS & coolant temp sensor

Does no cat mean MOT failure?

Forum User
    Depends on the tester ;)

In the mean time Iv been talking to Ktec as an alternative to using my tuner here in Ireland. I figure as they've done all this before they wont need to test the waters so to speak.

Anyway I spoke to A guy called Sean (I think) about what I was planning and he said he'd previously done similar to Clio's in the past. His suggestion was to send me absolutely everything needed for the job and for me to put it all together here in Ireland. He will install a basic map so I can drive it to England to Ktec so he can then map it.

The cost he gave me was £1300 for all the stuff including ECU, loom, 172 flywheel and clutch, 172 soft pedal conversion. Basically everything I need.

He said it I could give it two maps one for emissions one for performance as y0z2a has suggested. 10-15 hp was mentioned as doable and the flat spot would obviously be removed. On paper it seems a good deal????

Depends what car they put the exhaust probe into

I already have a "lenient" tester but he may not be alive forever ha.

how much for lightweight Williams flywheel?

Quote Originally Posted by owen87 View Post
    I already have a "lenient" tester but he may not be alive forever ha.

how much for lightweight Williams flywheel?
    I'll find out for you

Im looking into a 172 clutch and flywheel.

Anyone got opinions on what I should do.

1. Standard 172 clutch from either Ktec or RPD (RPD £33 cheaper at £133) and lightened KTR flywheel from KTEC for £298.
    2. Up-rated 172 clutch I.E helix at about £300 and lightened flywheel.

Is the standard 172 clutch enough of an up-grade from the Williams one?