Rolling shell advise please

Well after an epic journey so far 180 now has a corrosion free shell and needs to go to the paintshop.
    I want to ask opinions as to how I do this as I plan to trailer the car.

Do I;

1/ put the rear axle on along with the old subframe & front suspension (to avoid overspray on the new stuff)
    or
    2/ Put all the new suspension on the car and risk it

Also, when rebuilding the front suspension, am I best to build the wishbones, antiroll bar and struts onto the subframe off the car and then offer it into position or Subframe on the car first and then build everything onto that?

last question. If I put the original steering rack on the car for paintshop purposes, will it get damaged with the steering being used manually without the pump operating? If so I have a non pas rack of a 1.2 that I could temporarily put on the car.

knowledgable opinions greatly appreciated ��

Is the engine still in it?

Steering rack is a non issue, steering manually is just heavier to do & there's no way you can harm it. Putting the manual rack on is also pointless & more hassle as you'd also have to fit a manual column to be able to steer.

Easiest thing to do is to build up the subframe completely then offer it up to the car as at that point it's just 4 bolts to put in & do up to have it fully fitted

Its a bare shell Paddy, its got nothing in it at all.
    Thanks for the reply, its appreciated 👍

In that case it'll be easy to fit everything & then cover it up so no overspray etc gets on the shiney new stuff.

Most important thing to do is fit the driveshafts or at the very least a pair of CV joints into the hubs as you'll be amazed how quickly the wheel bearings will shit themselves & make the wheel fall off, happened to me on 1 of my shells, pushing it back into the garage & 1 of the wheels fell off - was rather inconvenient to say the least

I'd say put the old stuff on while it gets sprayed, with it being a shell its not much bother to swap out the old stuff when you get the car back.

As Paddy says, the front wheel bearings will splay apart when its a rolling shell with no drive shafts. Watch for the wheels falling off, and replace the bearings when you put all the new shiny stuff on.

The steering rack isn't an issue, just use the hydraulic one.

Tbh it's a losing battle trying to keep the subframe minty fresh & clean, my latest 1 was fitted in the summer, the car hasn't even moved under it's own power & it's absolutely disgustingly filthy already

Thanks for the replies Paddy & Crossers, TBH I hadnt thought about the issue with the wheel bearings coming out.
    Looks like I will install the suspension from a donor 1.2 car as I have as I have already removed the bearings from the Williams hubs.

I may be on with some more silly questions soon.......stand by 👍