Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My williams.... is a Valver?

Hi everyone the Williams failed its emissions test again today badly, lots of white smoke smells of fuel and heats up quite fast( fan kicks in after 10 mins running, any help? I'll post test results tomorrow, also I noticed on the head next to the stat housing are 2 more sensors that have been smashed off, looks like the ecu and dash temp sensors, this tells me that its a 1.8? And tots up with everybody saying," well, I was expecting it to be faster" quite disappointed, pics to come later, am I right in thinking this or am I just uneducated? Thanks guys

Erm, not quite

The valver & williams uses exactly the same stat housing and sensors and if the ecu 1 is smashed off the ecu has no idea what the temperature is so can't actually make the engine run correctly. You can get new ones easily enough but you need to find the plugs that connects to them on the wiring loom.
    Sounds like the head gasket has gone

Yeah but the sensors in the side of the block are in the stat housing instead? And there are no other wires on the loom? And yeah I suspected that lol��

Forum User
    It may have a Renault 19 version of the engine or head fitted

Hmm interesting, how do I upload photos direct to this post? I have quite a few pics that would help explain a little better but thanks for all the advice, continue the quest!

You need to click on the bit that says insert image & follow the instructions

Send pics, we will set you straight. Don't panic yet, it may well be the ECU is not getting the info it needs due to sensor fail.

Hi sorry for the abandonment lol, checked the car around, engine plaque says f7r a700, box is jc5014, but the head has core plugs in the spark plug well, meaning a 1.8 head? Its over fuelling like crazy stinks of petrol and fails all the emission tests, so were going to bang a fuel restrictor just to "trick" it through the mot so it can be moved around, I see it as a remap to sort it all out? Thanks again
    Attached Images Attached Images

so the F7R means its a 2.0ltr block

But the head as previously said could be the R19 one. Looks like it to me. So you may have a 2.0ltr bottom end on a 1.8ltr head.

How does the inlet manifold look - can you take a picture as it goes towards the throttle body please

Well that's a new 1 on me I know the 19 has a plastic thermostat housing so I'm assuming it doesn't have sensors in it hence the sensors being in the head

Those 2 broken off sensors aren't an issue tbh so you can ignore them, the important ones are in the thermostat housing.

As for the head, if it's a 1.8 head it will deffo have a detrimental effect on the performance as the valves are smaller plus you've got the added bonus of not knowing exactly what cams are in it either.
    I highly doubt that will be the cause of the overfuelling though as the internals of that head will be restricting the fuel & air flow into the engine, I'd be looking more towards an air leak, coolant temp sensor that points towards the passenger wheel or something lambda related.

Remapping is an option but tbh it'll be a backwards step as you'll basically be de-tuning it because of the head being wrong. The proper fix will be fitting the correct head