Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Has it been stored outside? Will make a big difference to what needs doing to it after being laid up. Is it modified? I can't see why it would be so much on insurance otherwise - the group 12 of the valver was what got me into one (18 years ago now!) versus a Williams, which was group 17 and prohibitively expensive for me to insure back then, but all these years on (and I am no longer young) insurance is now relatively tiny compared to road tax/petrol, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    The mk1 MX5 beat the Clio for tin worm
    Really? Bugger.

I'm aware sills and rear arches are a problem area on the MX5s but somehow (in my head, anyway) they seem easier/cheaper to fix, despite probably being a similar amount of work to our rusty french shopping trolleys.

I think it's just the fact that you can get an MX5 fixed up and get probably a good deal of your money back, but doing it to a valver is basically throwing money into a pile and setting fire to it (because it's not a Williams )

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_b View Post
    Has it been stored outside? Will make a big difference to what needs doing to it after being laid up. Is it modified? I can't see why it would be so much on insurance otherwise - the group 12 of the valver was what got me into one (18 years ago now!) versus a Williams, which was group 17 and prohibitively expensive for me to insure back then, but all these years on (and I am no longer young) insurance is now relatively tiny compared to road tax/petrol, etc.
    Yep, parked up outside since perhaps 2010 (!!).

It is modified (full Willy suspension set up) but engine-wise is standard, bar an exhaust. Insurers just seem to hate me, even with full NCB and (currently...) zero points lol

I don't think I've ever paid less than 600 quid for insurance. Looking around it looks like I could insure a 300bhp+ Beemer 540i for 400 quid, or the valver for more than that! Annoying.