Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

Williams 1......Do i go Fully OE, or slightly tweaked/upgraded?

Hmmmm what to do With my williams 1.....

Right, first off, when I say modded...I mean more 'upgraded'.

Would it be sacrilegious to tweak a williams 1? For example, im wanting to replace bushes and im thinking of going Powerflex Black edition. OE looks but obviously uprated! Also Braided brake hoses? Coilovers and lowered rear beam? Bear in mind I will keep all original parts and the original rear beam to raise it if need be. Other than that, id keep it OE.

Just wanting peoples thoughts.

Dunc

Forum User
    It your W1, so do want you want to do.
    Go for it

Simon

Forum User
    Yeah, this is my thought too. but I still would make sure everything could go back to OE. Tbh, tbe braided brake hoses and powerflex black series bushes will still look oe ish! not like its changing the colour LOL

Dunc

The only non standard parts that I have put on my W1 is braided brake lines. Uprated dog bone mount and an ITG filter. All else is standard. It is your car and you do what you feel is right.

When I come to sell mine, if a potential buyer tried to talk me down on price because I replaced the shoddy OE rubber parts with better & longer lasting items, I'd kick their arse all the way back to where they came from & refuse to sell it to them

For things like rubbers, it's pretty sensible to fit better ones like powerflex as they're better & longer lasting, would you fit a set of 20+ year old Pirelli P4000 tyres just to stay OE like on 0001?

The rear beam is easy enough to lower & raise it at a later date so don't worry about having to swap it. If lowering & adding coilies makes it better to drive for you, to hell with the purists & get it done! Keeping the OE stuff is a sensible idea though as things like that will help the car retain value to the purists further down the line so to speak

Forum User
    As above its your car and do what makes you happy. I feel people are getting this car completely wrong these days fretting about anal items, consistently focussing on ornamental issues. the clio Williams is all about fun and one of the best cars you can drive on snakey lanes!! Big smiles for miles and a real bond no other car can provide, apart from my gsxr srad which I once owned nothing else compares, think of it as your dog and they always take a part of your personality, if you want to upgrade in any way, just do it.. It's you and the car and your own aspirations, if someone doesn't like it or it doesn't fit in with glass box admiration brigade well so be it.

To many pictures of clean cars with bobbly tires these days... Should be pictures of a massive grin on someones face on some back roads... That's what these were built for..,

The clio Williams will never be a financial investment in reality, its certainly an investment in happiness though in my experience.

I'm in middle of doing a full full refurb. on Williams and I plan to replace all my bushes with polys including gearbox dog bone, probably engine mount with a vibra tech and yanoo gear shift bush. After 20 years it will feel tight and alive again. Only question I have what do all the colours mean. I've seen yellow, red, purple and black.

That's just the colours powerflex use for all their stuff, the black ones are different as they're made differently to be stiffer than the yellow or purple ones

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    When I come to sell mine, if a potential buyer tried to talk me down on price because I replaced the shoddy OE rubber parts with better & longer lasting items, I'd kick their arse all the way back to where they came from & refuse to sell it to them

For things like rubbers, it's pretty sensible to fit better ones like powerflex as they're better & longer lasting, would you fit a set of 20+ year old Pirelli P4000 tyres just to stay OE like on 0001?

The rear beam is easy enough to lower & raise it at a later date so don't worry about having to swap it. If lowering & adding coilies makes it better to drive for you, to hell with the purists & get it done! Keeping the OE stuff is a sensible idea though as things like that will help the car retain value to the purists further down the line so to speak
    exactly what i thought! "ooo i'll leave it, non OE powerflex bushes" lol! bugger off then!

Bugger it, think im going to tweek it and upgrade a few bits for the better rather than go fully OE. But, like i said, will keep everything to go back to OE if need be!

Might paint my williams Naples red.........:P

Dunc

Naples Best colour to have after Tungsten, followed by Brooklands, in fact a valver is betterer apart from the blue ones