Cooling fan staying on???

Occasionally when I turn my car off the cooling fan comes on and runs for sometimes 2 minutes others time 5 minutes. A few people have said this could be normal, but I'm unsure. Anyone have a similar thing?

Forum User
    the fan will stay on if its hot enough.. does the fan come on when the engine is running or not until the engine is switched off?

The fan works perfectly when the engine is running. But sometimes when you turn the car off the fan stays on. Sometimes for short periods and other times it stays on for much longer.

Perfectly normal & nothing to worry about

That's good to know. Was just giving her a bath and it came on randomly as I was washing it?

Ok now that's a little bit odd Was the engine warm at all? If not there's something amiss

It's 1 of the sensors in the thermostat housing that makes the fan come on with the ignition switched off, if it picks up a certain temperature it makes the fan & aux water pump kick in

Forum User
    the fan will stay on if its hot enough.. does the fan come on when the engine is running or not until the engine is switched off?
    pretty sure mine only works when the engine is turned off, plus it takes ages for the car to warm up when its driving like the stat is stuck open

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24v View Post
    pretty sure mine only works when the engine is turned off, plus it takes ages for the car to warm up when its driving like the stat is stuck open
    That is most probably the sensor in the rad at fault