Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storing outside a recipe for disaster?

Before long I am going to need my garage space, which is where the Williams is currently stored.

It's booked in for service and cambelt so will be roadworthy before long and used moreso, but what are thoughts on outside storage. This car hasn't seen water in 5 years!

What I found over the years is that enclosed garages are not all that great for storing unless you have some sort of climate control system
    or dehumidifier.Outside humidity levels have always appeared lower.Obviously outdoors you have to contend with rain snow etc.

My approach would be to wash and wax well and get a good cover.
    Other than building a shelter I wouldn't know what else to do other than car storage which is available at around £13 per week in the north west region.

A decent breathable cover is a must tbh, even if it's inside a garage. As fab said, good wash & a healthy waxing before covering it up will do the trick nicely

Forum User
    I used a frost thermostat and a 2ft tube heater to regulate the temperature in my garage although my garage is integral to my house so it's not as cold as some garages.

I think it's more winter usage that will see the rear arches, sills and inner wings corrode on these cars unless its well sealed and protected.

I used some Dinitrol Corroheat and sprayed it all over the underbody,heat shields,brake unions,wishbones,nuts and bolts etc etc.
    It left a dry clear wax finish.

http://www.frost.co.uk/dinitrol-corr...010-500ml.html

My garage is also integral and any time I've ever gone in there; summer/winter, morning/night there has never been any condensation etc - I'm happy that it offers excellent car storage.

My experiences with car covers in the past have been poor - maybe they were just too cheap...

im spending £100 on a cover now adays - but i have just bought a halfords outdoor one to try. For £50 its worth a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie. View Post
    My garage is also integral and any time I've ever gone in there; summer/winter, morning/night there has never been any condensation etc - I'm happy that it offers excellent car storage.
    Thats the thing you cannot see the moisture in the air.

I have one of the clocks below from maplins and it shows even on a sunny day like today 99% humidity indoors.
    Take it outside or open a window and you will get 60% or lower.
    Maybe the air is drier in Scotland

I know its being rather extreme but food for thought!

Forum User
    The main reason I have the tube heater and frost stat is that even though my garage has no windows to see visible condensation, there is definitely more moisture in the air during the winter months.

If ever I have washed the car or anything like with the lower temps it won't fully dry and will stay damp.

I don't blame you at all,and its not only winter months. Sometimes worse when the air is warm outside and it's cold in the garage.
    Very often I pull my car out of the garage it runs like crap until the lambda or whatever dries up. And that's with a dehumidifier running 12 hours a day.
    If you are gonna use a garage do it right otherwise you are better off leaving it outside. Mines coming out soon and it will be left in the corner of the garden with a weather shelter or decent cover over it. Amen to garages for my willy.