Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

N303 SOA - Willimas 3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...fied?logcode=p

Hi saw this on autotrader, its been adverised before. I'm considering buying it. Does anyone on here know anything about it or had a look themselves?????

Forum User
    Have you checked the register?

Danno - I couldn't find it in the 'williams 3' section if thats what you mean. Or is there somewhere else I should be looking??

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy C View Post
    Danno - I couldn't find it in the 'williams 3' section if thats what you mean. Or is there somewhere else I should be looking??
    Yeah sorry Tim that's what I meant - should have explained myself better.

Timmy C that looks expensive to me. The wheels are refurbed wrong so if your a perfectionist you'll need around £500 to get them done again. The Mickey Mouse detachable steering wheel also doesn't bode well for me. Also 106,000 (not a problem but high at that price IMO) For £4k it should be a very nice, sub 100k car requiring very little or no work. To give you an idea mines done 97k. I paid £1500 for it just over a year ago. I've spent £3000 + on restoration work! there's some history with mine! documented evidence and receipts for all the work I've done! lots of old MOTs and I'm the 10th owner. I recon mines worth £3k.

hoppo1979 - thanks for your advice - I thought much the same as you, but the body seems to be rust free from the pictures which is a massive bonus if it is. Your car looks v.nice by the way

Forum User
    Be very careful Tim, my old willy 3 looked OK on the outside, but behind the front wings for example, it was totally shot with rust as were the inner sills. I'm with hoppo on this one. I say better buying a car that needs work for less money and then spending the difference making it right. That way you know what's what.

Thanks for the advice Timmy C. But if you're looking at my profile pic that was BEFORE the work required to make it roadworthy. And I have been in the motor industry all my life! Take a look through my build thread to give you a flavour!

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/show...ng-Required%21

Viewed this yesterday on at £5950....HPI clear 107k miles Full service history, book packs etc 2 previous owners, Cambelt due was last done in 1999 at 63k

Interior seemed good apart from the aftermarket steering wheel which was ok but I'd prefer the original,

but the exterior needs a lot of TLC to bring it up to something you'd be proud of

Very rusty but seemed solid underneath

Around the petrol cap and inside was fine

bodywork, both sills have had smallish 3 x 3 inches botch repairs at some point, areas bubbling that had been painted over

boot floor was good, engine bay seemed good, no mayo on oil filler cap (when it came off with a wrench, was very tight, oil was very clear) levels looked good

Drivers side cracked headlight, lacquer peel under headlights, and around aerial

A lot of the rubber trim had perished badly around the front windows

Had a hunt for the correct steering wheel before viewing and can see that being tough to find

Started it up and it was loud, aftermarket exhaust system, would want toning down a bit in my opinion (its not a group B Rally car !)

It seemed to miss a beat shortly after start up then idled ok

Good points, mileage stacked up, low owners, interior was pretty good, wheels were done apart from one that needed refurb, tyres were goodyear not sure how old

My feeling is it will be a huge money pit for me as I like my cars to look good, it needs a major service and inspection, cambelt, exhaust, then will need bodywork, lacquer peel tricky, cracked headlight, rubber window trim

Is it really worth it on a 107k mile W3....

I asked to test drive but the owner then made all sorts of excuses, one of which was it wasn't taxed ! I walked away... it was a sign

Better to spend a bit more and get a better more sorted example, even as a starting point, unless you can do all the stuff yourself

PS my mistake wheels are still wrong so theres more expense ! Glad I walked away, although if I did buy it, I'd know a lot about a W3 by the time it was right