Forum User

Windscreen replacement

My windscreen has a chip and a small crack in it that is developing. The screen is the original renault one, I was going to phone the insurance company and get the screen replaced but before i do has anyone else done this? is there anything in particular that needs to be looked out for?

Years ago I had a screen changed on my clio 182 that cracked, it was replaced with a much cheaper looking one that looked naff around the tinted edges compared with the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean250 View Post
    My windscreen has a chip and a small crack in it that is developing. The screen is the original renault one, I was going to phone the insurance company and get the screen replaced but before i do has anyone else done this? is there anything in particular that needs to be looked out for?

Years ago I had a screen changed on my clio 182 that cracked, it was replaced with a much cheaper looking one that looked naff around the tinted edges compared with the original.
    I got a brand new screen for mine when it was re sprayed for £52 from national windscreens. They wanted £15 to fit it. Depending on what your excess is I'd shop around first incase it may affect NCD. Mines got a green tint and is great.

I wouldn't bother going down the insurance route on 1 of these cars tbh as the excess is sometimes more than the actual cost of a screen, get phoning around to see what you can get before looking at the insurance option

Forum User
    While Autoglass were working on my other car I pointed out the chips on my Williams and he suggested I have the windscreen replaced. He also said as it is a rare old car I could insist the insurance company pay for a genuine Renault replacement, so might be worth trying that.

Forum User
    They won't do it unless it's broken

Forum User
    My screen actually has 3 chips after a close inspection today,

Forum User
    I helped a friend out once when he had a windscreen replaced as an insurance job and it wasn't the same (on a Toyota). I wrote a letter for him to the insurance company insisting he had an original one with the same tint etc. and he was then able to get the windscreen swapped for a genuine one at their expense. If you go down the insurance route it's probably best to get it agreed with them first ie you have a classic car, and that you want a windscreen with the same original tint etc.