Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looking back on my short stint of ATR ownership so far, I've done quite a fair bit to it so I thought it'd be worth collating it all together

How it all started, with a bit of a scabby front end but mechanically good

Several months of pretty much hassle free motoring passed with only fitting new brakes at the back and having to do the lower ball joints to then be faced with the exhaust falling off a week before a trackday which forced me to get a new 1 made up sooner than I had planned for

Had an enjoyable day at Bedford in November

Unfortunately the day after the trackday the clutch shat itself but it had to wait as the car was booked in to have all the paintwork sorted out. Bonnet, wings, mirrors were done along with both bumpers having pre-facelift style lips fitted There's still a couple of other bits that need doing but I couldn't afford to get them done because of the exhaust problem

I then had a bit of a disappointing day at Surrey Rolling Road

Cause of the pig rich fuelling was the K&N cone filter being clogged up with crap from the front end being painted I binned it & got a Ram Air filter instead then logged the AFR's & they're back into the 13's so should make decent power next time I get it on the rollers

All that followed by a day at Cadwell Park at the beginning of December

December and it's usual weather meant that the winter shoes were then fitted, winter tyres & LSD are a revelation in the snow & I was able to drive anywhere at pretty much normal speeds in the snow

Into the new year (well March to be exact) thanks to a fellow ATR owner I know from a Volvo forum I got a set of RSR's & fitted them to the track wheels I've had for bloody ages

Then did my 1st trackday of the year

Overtaking a Caterham y0!

and to round off the update I've had my standard wheels refurbished

The car needs a bit of tlc in the form of new brakes up front & a bloody good clean after Oulton so I'll fit the fresh wheels then but now all of my efforts need to go into getting my proper track car fixed & back out to play

Nice update...

love a update paddy - so whats the current situation with the race car - is the engine being built back up as we speak?

Quote Originally Posted by northy View Post
    love a update paddy - so whats the current situation with the race car - is the engine being built back up as we speak?
    Have you not seen the update I posted for that?

that was last week - you've had 2 bank holidays and a weekend since then lol

Yeah 2 bank holidays and a weekend at work to pay for this poxy habit Hoping to get the Clio moved to the workshop this week though

Just to be a massive ASW, finally got round to fitting the fresh wheels

This is due a little update.

I failed to get my track car ready for a trackday at Castle Combe back in June so ended up taking the ATR. Because 2 of my semi slick tyres were buggered I eneded up taking just 2, fitting them to the front and putting my most worn Potenzas on the back and all I can say is that I was finally happy with how the car handles.
    That little bit more grip up front compared to the back made all the difference making the back end of the car move around a bit more & I loved it

Unfortunately around lunchtime things went south rather quickly

Resized to 88% (was 1024 x 680) - Click image to enlarge

That cloud of smoke was the engine letting go. Very odd circumstances as well, for those of you familiar with Combe, it happened at Folly. I was flat out in 4th gear & starting to make the turn when there was a loud crunch followed by what can only be best described as though I'd put my foot on the clutch and with my foot hard to the floor the engine then revved it's nuts off & cut out.

I managed to get the car just past Quarry & pulled up on the grass, right next to a massive Honda advertising board of all bloody things and to top it off it took ages before they red flagged the session to recover me so had to suffer the humiliation of 1 particular former ATR owner driving past me 5 times pointing, laughing & calling me a wanker or variations of it although to be fair to him, on the 5th time around he just shrugged his shoulders as he'd run out of ideas.

Got a tow back to the Hotel I was staying at & called the AA. I knew it was fecked long before they showed up, the engine wasn't seized as such but would only turn so far before locking solid. The AA man said snapped cambelt. The way it went also made me decide not to piss about & go for a replacement engine and box.

Got the car home & dumped it in my lockup, took the cam over off just on the off chance the AA man was right but the belt was still intact so it got dumped whilst I got some overtime in to pay for everything

Resized to 88% (was 1024 x 576) - Click image to enlarge

A couple of weeks later I was all lined up to buy an engine & rebuilt box from Bails but for a couple of hundred quid more I stumbled upon another car that had similar mileage and a rebuilt box so ended up buying it to break and to learn how they're put together so I would know what I'm doing when it comes to swapping the engine etc on mine.

Nothing much got done through most of August as I was awaiting delivery of goodies for the new lump. The main wait was for a delivery of a balance shaft delete kit & manual tensioner from H-Tune. It took a while as they were waiting for their 1st batch of stock from Kaizenspeed to make it's way here from the states. Also got myself a lightweight flywheel />/>

So last weekend, the car saw daylight for the 1st time in almost 3 months & I got it moved to my mates workshop to start ripping the engine out

1st job was to drop all the fluids. My car has a magnetic sump plug & when I undone it I was greeted by quite a lot of water which seemed odd at the time, then came the oil followed by a bit of light being shed upon what damage I'd done

Resized to 88% (was 1024 x 1820) - Click image to enlarge

Once I'd got the downpipe off, I crawled out from underneath the car, grabbed the downpipe & heard something rattling inside & I thought oh balls I've dropped a bolt in there />/> Tipped it over to be greeted with this

Closer inspection of the grooves here shows this was part of a piston had been spat out of the exhaust port

So with that little treat I got distracted from the engine removal & whipped the manifold off & found more treats />/>

Om nom nom nom nom nom nom nom said the engine to the exhaust valve

The following day & because I'd overlooked some seals for the oil pump & had to order them from Honda which would take 2 days to arrive and euro car parts sent me the wrong cambelt I continued with the post mortem mostly for shits & giggles.

Head off

Thankfully the mesh filter in the oil pickup did it's job & stopped any piston debris from getting into the rest of the engine & causing any more damage

Sump off

[img]http://i444.photobuc...zps8etfwmip.jpg[/img]
    http://i444.photobuc...zpshulh4ngd.jpg
    http://i444.photobuc...zpshyuq8pkg.jpg

The only 3 pieces left of what was once a piston & 1 of those big lumps was wedged between the block & crank which solves the mystery of why it would only turn over so far & lock solid

http://i444.photobuc...zpsabggg9vq.jpg

Another bit of dead engine memoribilia to add to the shelf of engine death in my garage. Honda supposedly managed to build umpteel million VTEC units without major failure until I get into them, I'm quite proud of how much damage I managed to do especially as it did it whilst the car was being driven properly />

http://i444.photobuc...zpsrcmjiylq.jpg
    Last edited by 16v_paddy; 10-09-2015 at 21:54.

All looks mega painful...ouch!!

Good luck with the rebuild....

Regards Ian

New engine & box are already built up waiting to be fitted now, just got to wait til I'm off work again to get it done