Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    have fun welding them patches in. Hope your welder can be turned down low to stop blowing through

Quote Originally Posted by northy View Post
    have fun welding them patches in. Hope your welder can be turned down low to stop blowing through
    I've tested on a surplus bit of metal today and the welder I've bought is bang on for welding anything up to 5mm in thickness

Bit of an update! I got the quick release couplings along with some air tools and stuff

So today I set about removing the drivers side sills (yes sills! I'll explain further down)
    I started cutting it along the line with the air grinder
    Then my air powered needle scaler thing arrived, which also comes with the air chisels! Result lol.

Started to cut into it

Evidence of too fast wire speed on a previous patch repair lol!

Now, the sills! One the drivers side, yes, there's 2 outer sill skins on! For some fcuked up reason :/ peeled back the top one which is visible in the pic and it was Naples still lol.
    And it had 2 spot welds along the bottom! Retarded I know but that's by the by, all is getting done right.

Few pics of the inner sill

More tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson16v View Post
    Bit of an update! I got the quick release couplings along with some air tools and stuff

So today I set about removing the drivers side sills (yes sills! I'll explain further down)
    I started cutting it along the line with the air grinder
    Then my air powered needle scaler thing arrived, which also comes with the air chisels! Result lol.

Started to cut into it

Evidence of too fast wire speed on a previous patch repair lol!

Now, the sills! One the drivers side, yes, there's 2 outer sill skins on! For some fcuked up reason :/ peeled back the top one which is visible in the pic and it was Naples still lol.
    And it had 2 spot welds along the bottom! Retarded I know but that's by the by, all is getting done right.

Few pics of the inner sill

More tomorrow
    My battery had died yesterday so didn't have photos of the sill removed. So here's a pic

I need to do some fabrication for the inner sill and I'm going to order 2 inner wheel arches
    Also ordered a pair of front inner wings too
    a 3 week wait for them though as the supplier (carz2) had to order them from Klokkerholm.[/QUOTE]

Okay... So today this is what I've done.

Started removing what's left of the sill

I did it bit by bit so I didn't cut it too short. Takes a little longer than it probably should but I'd rather not rush having not done anybody work in a year or 2
    Removed the rear quarter, again bit by bit

And test fitted the new wing (I know it's not as flared as it should be yet but I'd rather have the shell ready for it to go straight on once it's done

Going to do the other side tomorrow, now I've got the "feel for it" back it will (probably lol) take me half the time than what today did

Oh, wow, epic :D

I wish I could weld! Might go learn, as I don't trust people with my car...that double skin job you found is a prime example why!

Keep us updated :D

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba View Post
    Oh, wow, epic :D

I wish I could weld! Might go learn, as I don't trust people with my car...that double skin job you found is a prime example why!

Keep us updated :D
    :D
    Welding is more of an art than a skill IMO.
    I was self taught with a little tuition from an old school panel beater lol. He always said to me "the welds don't have to look good, as long as they're penetrated enough, it's okay as you'll grind them flat afterwards anyway"
    Quite good advice ime lol.

I know that feeling though, I love having the knowledge to be able to repair my own motors, too many "mechanics" out there just bish bash bosh things, it was same when I was removing the engine, there were bolts missing, snapped bolts, engine loom was a mess, under front bumper clips are snapped off and lots more.

If you want to learn to weld, buy yourself a decent mig, and get plenty of practice on some scrap metal
    Will post an update tomorrow as I've not done anything at all today lol, need to get done compressor oil tomorrow and some fibreglass to fix up my stepsons mini moto lol :cool:

Awesooooome!

Yep..Respect!

Bit of an update! Not a big one though ha. Only managed to squeeze about 2 hours in today.

Cut away some rusty metal

Marked up the other side ready for the other quart coming off

And a video of all the rust that dropped out lol!