Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Values of models and worth project time?

I was reading in Autocar this week that values for Clio Williams broadly are

Poor cond £2500
    Average £4000
    Mint £6000

Would you agree? I paid £2800 for my '3' with masses of s/h, 12 months MoT and 76k. I'm in two minds about whether to fix the rear arch and sill and then spend some time sorting the wheels and cosmetics to sell for a small profit. But I reckon I could be in for £2000 to do it properly (although hope to be nearer £1500). To make it mine then I'd theoretically but able to sell for about £6000. But could I? I know one sold for £5500 with lots of work (but awful paint and a minor engine issue) but of the others I've seen advertised at the top end I have no idea how many have sold. Thoughts?

Forum User
    If you want to make any money on it I think you'll have to keep hold of it for a while yet. How is the paint and mechanical side of things as that is where most of the money will go? The one that was sold for £5.5k was brought under the assumption that all the bodywork was pristine so that's the standard you'll have to get to for that sort of price

poor ones can still be found for £1000....

6 plus for very good ones yes.

As Northy has said, they can be picked up for £1k still as thats what I paid for mine back in March. Buying cheap is great but then you do have to pile a lot of cash into them

Quote Originally Posted by pvsmark View Post
    If you want to make any money on it I think you'll have to keep hold of it for a while yet. How is the paint and mechanical side of things as that is where most of the money will go? The one that was sold for £5.5k was brought under the assumption that all the bodywork was pristine so that's the standard you'll have to get to for that sort of price
    Mechanicals are all spot on but rear wing is rotten (maybe inner one too) and sill looks a bit rusty too (just front part of OS one). Rest is all very nice tbh.

I guess the question I am asking is, if I spent £2000 on top of £2800 I'd have a a perfect body/wheels , huge s/h and mechanically spot on. Would I get £6000ish or would the wife divorce me for selling it for £4000?

Forum User
    I think you'd b in the ballpark of 5/6k at the current market.. but would have to be a minter.. they may even go up even more in the future.. hard to tell how much and when but they getting rarer and desirable again.. always in the summer months.. good luck with ur venture mate!!

Forum User
    Restoring old cars to make money is pretty tricky. A cheap Williams will probably be rusty so it'll need bodywork then paint. Then lots of parts are unavailable, so you'd have to be lucky to get everything you need in the right condition and cheap.

But if you are doing it for fun; then definitely go for it.

Forum User
    got any pics of her? the car that is.. unless ur misses is a hottie!

Quote Originally Posted by Vandella View Post
    got any pics of her? the car that is.. unless ur misses is a hottie!
    Lol! She is pretty fit tbh but for now I'll post up some car pics (over the weekend)