Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Barn find Williams 1

After months of searching for a Williams 1 that's original and low mileage I finally found one listed on ebay as spares or repairs, 56,000 mls and unused since 1999 apart from a 6 month period in 2008 when it was taxed for the road and used briefly.

Im hoping I can get some help and advise, where is the best place to get the wheels re-furbed back to factory finish ?
    I also need a tailgate as it was damaged whilst in storage by something falling on it, will it be easy to find a mint tailgate ?

I've not started the engine yet as im having all the fluids drained flushed and replaced along with the cambelt before attempting to start it. all 4 tyres are perished so im going to replace those along with a brake and suspension re-fresh, bodywise its really good and original, just one rust scab near the bottom of one arch which seems to be just superficial and paint flaking on the rear bumper.

I also need a spotlight for the front bumper, any advise greatly appreciated.

DSCN6198 (Medium).JPGDSCN6206 (Medium).JPGDSCN6209 (Medium).JPGDSCN6210 (Medium).JPGDSCN6211 (Medium).JPGDSCN6203 (Medium).JPG

Nice find

http://www.project-wheels.co.uk/ these do the wheels correctly and are very reasonably priced, will be taking my wheels there for refurb when I can be arsed to do anything on the williams.

How bad is the damage on the tailgate? With it being such low mileage I reckon you could be better off just getting it fixed, it's not impossible to find 1 but I reckon it'd be very difficult to find 1 that's mint & rust free

Forum User
    most importantly....what number is it please?!!

Its number 153, the damage on the tailgate is right on the swage line it wont dent master out and I don't want to have it filled, ideally I'd like to find a mint original tailgate and just swap it over, I want to keep the paintwork needed to a minimum to keep it as original as possible.

Congrats on the purchase mate. In a similar situation to yourself where I wont start my new purchase due to the cambelt needing doing as its a few years out of date lol. All the best

Great find and definitely worth the time and effort to bring it back to it's former glory!

For wheel refurbs there are a few places that can get them close, but unfortunately, if you put them next to an original they are never the same, even if the correct paint code is used.

Nice find.

I can already see a car cover and that garage is to die for.

Looks to be in great shape.

Forum User
    That's a great purchase!

I was also speaking to the seller about buying the car the morning that it went on ebay, but I think you must have offered more that I did
    Good luck with the work, hope to see it on the road soon

Incidentally, where are you based - might be useful if you need contacts in your area to help with tricky bits of work/parts etc..

Cheers,
    Dave

Hi Dave

Im in Bolton.
    I saw it within moments of the ad going live, I didn't steal it, I offered a decent price and he accepted straight away.
    I might have got it cheaper if I waited and just bid on the auction but I would have been gutted if I missed it.