Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What car next?

Clio 197 with Meg engine - Close thread.

I had a Liquid Yellow 197 and loved it, yeah you have to push it to get the benefits as life begins at 4k but thats part of the fun!

Sorry to hear, main thing is that you survived without any serious damage though, metal can be replaced...

Having spent an age looking at Megane's for our daily, we wanted a 5 door, which means no R26. We did look at those, but the diff wasn't an issue for everyday use and the Recaro seats I found pretty awful tbh. Not heated and not very comfortable.

They are an okay car, but as previously said, build quality isn't the best, performance is 'okay' at best and that's with a stage 1 RSTuning remap at 260/280 (standard it feels under powered and a really really dull flat power delivery). Handles well enough, but I find it pretty dull to drive as well as thirsty. Work commute is 6 miles of town driving and 6 miles of dual carriageway, which returned 23-24mpg, with the remap its a little better at 27mpg.

I wouldn't even entertain a 197/200 for the performance and fuel useage. They are slightly less dull than a Megane to drive, but there's not much in it.

I think Paddy's options are spot on and the 535d is easily the best value car on the list. Late facelift 2007 model has the revised 286bhp twin turbo diseasel engine and they remap to 360+bhp (more with DPF delete) with over 500lbs/ft and 45mpg combined. That would be quicker than your E39, easier on fuel with even more toys and cheaper insurance.

... or be sensible and get something that will make the Clio feel special and quick when you get in it, like an Audi 1.9/2.0 TDI and save yourself a load on running costs.

If you get an Audi I believe they come with a tw@ts license too where you no longer need to indicate, queue or drive sensibly :D

That's any German car in fairness lol.

Indicators are also an optional extra.

Hehe, ye!

I always indicate!!

Thanks for all the info :D I am also thinking of looking at the Skoda Fabia VRS, older model with the 1.9 turbo diesel or the SEAT diesel with 160 bhp.

the Clio is doing well at the commute though. I will bring it to work on occasion to make life more amusing!

Mate of mine has got a diesel octavia VRS, they're very nice motors so can't imagine the fabia being any different apart from being a bit more chuckable into corners for a bit of hooliganism

I have had two 197s. Loved them both. Things I liked were the looks and handling, really sets it apart from the other hot hatches out there. Quality wise it's not going to be a patch on a BMW in a lot of areas. For a motorway car I would get one with the revised final drive ratio (08 onwards) and probably the silver colour simply because its less likely to show stone chips. The black one had only done 4500 miles and was covered in them.

Fuel wise I got 36mpg at best but mine was the pre revised gearbox. They need to have there neck rung to get the best out of them but on the other hand you don't need to go silly fast to enjoy the handling and that's the main reason I bought mine. Other things to avoid imo, the canbasse 6 disc changer. All the radio gear is under the drivers seat as is the wiring so you cant change the head unit for an iPod compatible one easily. Xenon lights, I had no end of problems with the rear axle weight failing. Rear speakers didn't come as standard on the lower spec ones but the wiring is in place.

I would have another one.

Cheers guys. 36mpg isn't bad from a hothatch.

I think ultimately it all depends on my insurance payout, which they will try and fleece me on no doubt.

Running the Williams as a daily again has it's perks, people coming over asking me about it and such awesome chuckability. MPG isn't great though lol, as it is cold out and the ECU map is compensating with extra fuel.

Looking at the SEAT Leon TDI as well with 160 bhp, but not many about.