Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What car next?

What car next?

Today was a bad day for my BMW. I hit a river of water coming down the M3 motorway and the DSC/ABS failed due to either sensor or ABS module failure. The result was the back end just aquaplaned the car 360 degrees. You may predict this is hammering it around a bend in the wet, but not driving normally in a straight line with nearly new tyres all round!!! It was like hitting sheet ice. I was at the back of a line of traffic so no one else involved but the M5 is totally written off.

So, mild concussion and quite a lot of aching is the result, and a return of duty for the Williams as daily car until I get anther support vehicle!

I am looking at Clio 197's as they are apparently good value and a lot less thirsty than the V8 for my new 80 mile commute to work and back. I would go for a Clio 200 but after being off work for several months, I am still recapping my losses from no income!

I know there was criticism of the 197's power delivery, but this can be tweaked if I want to mod it.

Other option is a Mk2 Megane...even a RS DCi 175 is on the list. Anyone have any feedback?

Bloody hell mate!

Glad to hear you made it out of that alive. If you're looking at mk3 clios, my advice would be to just skip them altogether & go straight to the megane. They just don't have enough grunt to cope with all the weight they're dragging around with them. Have you ever seen 1 next to a mk1? They're so fcukin massive I find it offensive it's even called a clio.
    But - assuming there are any for sale - a megane 225 engined 197/200 would be pretty good, everything I've read/heard about the conversion has been very positive.

However, if I was in your position - minus the crash of course, as that sort of stuff doesn't happen to driving gods - I'd stick with german but of the derv variety, 330/335d or 530/535d of whatever shape your budget can stretch to. You've still got something lairy as fcuk to play with in the williams, so some sort of german luxury barge with plenty of toys, diseasel economy and still enough bollocks to stop you from getting too bored is pretty sensible I'd say

Glad you're ok mate.

whats the budget? Bit more on spec wanted: 3/5 doors etc... Coming from an m5 nothing is going to really compare :(

Budget depends on payout but I imagine it will be around 6k or 7k. If I wait a while I will be able to muster a fair lot more but as I've lost the NCD, insurance quotes are much higher!

Thanks for the links Lee. Those are all nice cars and quick enough too for diesels.

I was going to go up to see the M5's remains today, but ****ing well typically the Clio won't start. I think it has gotten wet somewhere with all this rain...

I don't care about number of doors. I did think maybe just a jolly old Volvo 850 with a tow bar for the Clio in case I get a trailer. Them 850's have heated seats, a major selling point as I am getting on a bit!

225/R26.

225 or R26 is a nice option to go for. You can pick up a regular 225 quite cheap and if you want you can stick the R26 diff in or get a quaife easily enough.

The trouble is I would probably burn more fuel than I would want. However, as a compromise between fun and outright power like the M5, the Meg is a nice choice. Defo need comfort and some toys I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba View Post
    I don't care about number of doors. I did think maybe just a jolly old Volvo 850 with a tow bar for the Clio in case I get a trailer. Them 850's have heated seats, a major selling point as I am getting on a bit!
    Volvo ftw But I'd suggest a 2004 onwards V70 D5 for that sort of thing as there are some piss takingly good ones about for next to fcuk all money & being a heavy duty workhorse there's sod all that comes close to matching nevermind beating. With the added bonus of the comfy old man toys you seem keen on

R26 is "okay" - wouldn't recommend them myself. Better cars out there IMO. Build quality is poor, peformance is alright, handaling is quite good, size is better than the Clio mind.

ah that's what happened to the m5, glad your okay matey

imo I'd go with what paddy's on about, D5 Volvo big enough to drag the clio about if needed, tick all the boxes and shift okay as well.