Today was a bad day for my BMW. I hit a river of water coming down the M3 motorway and the DSC/ABS failed due to either sensor or ABS module failure. The result was the back end just aquaplaned the car 360 degrees. You may predict this is hammering it around a bend in the wet, but not driving normally in a straight line with nearly new tyres all round!!! It was like hitting sheet ice. I was at the back of a line of traffic so no one else involved but the M5 is totally written off.

So, mild concussion and quite a lot of aching is the result, and a return of duty for the Williams as daily car until I get anther support vehicle!

I am looking at Clio 197's as they are apparently good value and a lot less thirsty than the V8 for my new 80 mile commute to work and back. I would go for a Clio 200 but after being off work for several months, I am still recapping my losses from no income!

I know there was criticism of the 197's power delivery, but this can be tweaked if I want to mod it.

Other option is a Mk2 Megane...even a RS DCi 175 is on the list. Anyone have any feedback?