Heater matrix change advice

Hi iv just put my car in my garage for the winter & thought I would replace the heater matrix has anybody got a link on how to do it I have disconnected hoses from engine bay started to strip dash but have stopped as I'm not sure on what really needs to come off any help would be great thanks

Forum User
    the whole dash need to come forward and off.. not a fun job.. just make sure u note where everything goes!!!

take some photos for refrence when putting it back together, it helps to maker things a bit easier

Forum User
    If you still have this to look forwards to...

I suggest parking the car somewhere level, chocking the wheels, lowering the handbrake so it doesn't go to work on your ribs (ask me how I know!), and lie across the seats with your head into the passenger footwell looking to the centre with a torch - you'll be able to see the rectangular plastic side of the heater matrix. This is where it will come out.

If you're put off by the task you could try flushing both stubs of the heater matrix with a hosepipe but I didn't find this made much difference (depends on the what state the coolant has been in through the life of the car - if the expansion tank is brown then chances are the heater matrix will be well clogged).

You don't have to take the whole dash off - but you do need to loosen the passenger's side enough to be able to pull it back enough to squeeze the radiator out and in. I removed the centre console (what I'm calling the plastic all around the gearstick) to get access. I don't think you need to remove the blower motor (front wipers off, scuttle off, wiper motor off, plastic shield off, blower motor out) but if you do you can see the fins of the radiator when you look down, which helps you see how far it's moved... or hasn't!

Be especially careful when you're sliding the new one in because the fins can be sharp - http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/show...-heater-matrix

Knowing what the hidden parts of the heater matrix looks like helps too so you know what you need to clear to get it free.

I did mine on my old valver a couple of winters back with full on man flu at below zero in the small hours of the morning... it was not fun... hardest part was pulling at it with my fingertips upside down to get the old one to shift because I think it had been glued/sealed in at some point - but I don't think that's normal!

All good started to do it myself got realy annoyed phoned local mobile mechanic £90 fitted all in why did I even bother trying to do it myself

Forum User
    Its a pain in the arse, my heater controls have never worked the same since

think I just undid the main bolts holding the dash on, left it complete and pulled it forward/levered it to get clearance, didn't take long. feck dismantling the thing