Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

A few questions!

Been working on my car today and encountered a few issues mainly due to rust/corrosion

1. Does any one know the length of the rear shocker top bolts, they are fairly long and bolt through the chassis?, going to have to cut mine off but didn't want to remove without having another at the ready!

2. Also need the dimensions of the front shock bolts if anyone knows them

Think the above bolts are all M10.

3. I was replacing the rear discs and pads, I noticed the drivers side caliper appeared to be sticking so I removed the cable, the caliper is free but the handbrake cable is a bit seized and frayed so need replace these, can they be replaced without removing the exhaust heat shield? my head shield and bolts are rotten and won't go back on but I don't think Renault do any of the heat shields now do they?

4. I replaced the gear mechanism tension spring, but the diagrams in the pack showed 2 methods of fitting depending upon the shape of the linkage, supplied was a spring and a clip to go around the gear linkage arm, but in the pack they only supplied a fitting for one of the methods, typically the Williams was the one they didn't supply the clip for, I have manged to get it on using the original clip but it's different to how it should be, the hook piece for the spring wasn't on the original one, I will post a diagram to see if anyone else has encountered this.

Thanks for any help.

Dean

Forum User
    Hopefully this will explain question 4!, Basically looking at the sheet the Williams linkage is the bottom type, in the pack they supplied the linkage clip for the spring to hook into for the top type.

My original spring had snapped, the plastic piece in the picture is the original clip but it appears to be missing the piece the spring hooks into, I have fitted the spring and hooked it into the a part of it with difficulty but its not a correct method of fitting and I am not sure it will last + I hate knowing something is bodged!

here you can see the piece that is missing although it doesn't look like anything has snapped off the clip

Rusty Heat shield!

Forum User
    ive replaced my spring not too long ago.. the new one was different (only slightly).. had to remove the old plastic bit that goes on the linkage rod.. should be fairly straight forward... :-/

Forum User
    I did remove the old plastic bit that's the white bit in the picture, but in my pack there was only a new supplied clip for one type of linkage which wasn't the Williams type, so I've had to put the original plastic piece back on and bodge it!

looking at the diagram, the plastic clip supplied was for the top method.

to me it looks like they forgot to supply the other clip in the pack!, if anyone could confirm this!?

Forum User
    Maybe this explains better....

Subscribed Member
    Your right mate you need the other clip should of come with it

Forum User
    Yeah I thought it must be missing as it wasn't shown, will have to get on to Renault, did yours come with both clips mate??

Subscribed Member
    Yes mate came with both clips and the bolts that hold the rear damper are the same length as one of the bolts that hold the rear beam to the car I have some new ones in the garage I will measure them. I had to order them from France as there not available here

Forum User
    Ok mate will get in touch with Renault about my clip, if you could measure them that would be great, was going to get some stainless steel ones from a fixings place we use at work if they have anything like it!

Subscribed Member
    Can't seem to find where I put the bolts mate sorry
    try and pm 16vpaddy he is good with part numbers and things like that