Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    PM.d Dom.

Forum User
    Excellent thread mate, great job on the car, the finish looks excellent now.

Whats the 3M kit you bought? always fancied trying to do some machine polishing myself and have the perfect opportunity to practise on my williams 2 before it gets a full respray!

Its good stuff Dean! Not cheap though! Its a colour coded system so the green is the aggresive "Fast Cut Plus" then buy 3M green pad, yellow stuff is designed to finish and remove any light swirls that may be left. That's called "Extra Fine Compound. Buy the 3M yellow waffle pad for that. There's another stage that's black and a soft black waffle pad but I skipped that as I already have other final stage stuff. Basically the green foam pad is quite hard. The yellow pad is a lot softer and then the black pad is really soft. I really rate it. G3 farecla is the stuff most use but boy it's messy! Cheap though!

Forum User
    Did you buy it all as a kit with the correct bits then mate? both of my Meganes have very light swirling and I have often fancied just having a little practise then attempting a machine finish but I know that there is dangers of burning and holograms etc.

The work you had done on the williams there at that price is excellent! really well restored car!

Forum User
    If you use a dual action machine polisher you are far less likely to burn the paint, this is because the pad oscillates as well as rotating. Therefore not generating heat in such a small area. I learnt to mop using a d/a and have mopped everything from a fiesta to a Ferrari with it . It takes longer than a rotary but the risk of burning is reduced .

Cars looking great Hoppo, popped back on hoping you had put a couple of pictures up

Forum User
    I did have a DA years ago but used it for sanding! I might look out for a kit, any recommendations?

Forum User
    That's the kit I got when I was learning, the mop is still going strong 2 years and at least 50 cars later. I would advise using 3m polishes and pads when those run out though .

Forum User
    Thanks Will!