Forum User

Water pump change during cambelt replacement

Having my cambelt changed at present by an ex renault tech, he just called me then to ask if definately wanted my water pump changing as there was a fair few more hours labour involved.

I have the water pump already but he said only part of it is accessible and part of the inlet needs removing to be able to remove it, when I asked him about the change he said in the past he used to just remove the engine so I assumed he would have done this but to me sounds like he is doing it with the engine in place/lifted.

I know its much easier to just bite the bullet and remove the engine, I planned to do this myself but I just have not had much time with work!

Pretty sure he means the bracket underneath the inlet that needs to come off which can be an absolute arse ache if it's not been off recently.

Don't take my word for it as I'm not 100% sure as I've never done a water pump with the engine in situ on a car that's still got PAS

Forum User
    It's not to bad if you have a ratchet 11mm spanner?!
    Once the bracket is out the way it's easy enough.

Forum User
    He did my old 16v before but looking at the car today the bracket is different when looking at picture for the f7p in the Haynes, there are 2 bolts that are just not accessible, looks like the inlet will need to be removed to get at them.

Matt can you get an 11mm ratchet spanner in to remove the bracket without removing everything to access the bolts on the pump?

Forum User
    You need to remove the alternator brackets and unbolt the pas pump to access the bolt behind it.
    There is no difference between a Williams and 16v for accessing the pump.
    can you get a picture of your pump, as the inlet manifold shouldn't have to be removed?

Forum User
    As said, there are two bolts on the water pump that cannot be reached unless you strip down all the PAS and alternator brackets. It can be done with the engine in but its an arse of a job... If he's offering to do it for a few extra hours labour I'd bite his hand off....

Forum User
    I think he will just remove the engine now to get at these bolts