Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AAAAARRRGGGHHH!!! Clutch Cable/Pedal!

Its been an eventful evening, driving out of Derby, BANG, Sloppy clutch pedal! I thought the clutch cable had snapped, but had it replaced less than 3 weeks ago and its done less than 200 miles since.

Having threatened to smack a cyclist (Long story, banging on my window telling me aI cant park in a cycle lane when I have broken down!) I have been recovered by the RAC.

I dont think the clutch pedal has snapped, as when you slowly press the clutch theres weight, then a funny ratchet noise and it slams to the floor. RAC guy said its the clutch pedal ratchet?

I need to go part shopping, I have read a few posts saying a genuine Renault clutch cable is the ONLY way to go, but the Pagid one I had fitted looked fairly robust! Have I just been unlucky or do I need to fit a Renault clutch cable and chuck the pagid job (my experience of Pagid stuff is its top notch) and whats peoples opinion/experience with the clutch pedal assembly?

Oh forgot to add, the only highlight was Damon Hill driving a Gumpert Apollo with F1 HLL on the plate driving past looking at me!!! Lol!

Sorry, it was a Noble M600, not a Gumpert.

Forum User
    Sounds like the ratchets fooked, the later pedals come with a better ratchet iirc. schakal on here used to sell replacement ratchet parts. cheaper than a new pedal.
    As for the clutch cable I only ever put renault one on as both inner and outer bits tend to be the right length and are not expensive.

New pedal required by the sounds of it

Thanks for the replies guys. New Clutch pedal and cable from renault will be on order tomorrow. Gutted Damon didn't stop, that would have made a funny picture, plus I'm on the hunt for that cyclist as he has scratched my rear quarter! If I'd have known that I wouldn't have stopped running after him!

oh and a guy in a white valver drove past me with a smirk on his face, bast4rd never even stopped to help lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppo1979 View Post

oh and a guy in a white valver drove past me with a smirk on his face, bast4rd never even stopped to help lol!
    I'd have done the same, bloody williams owners thinking they've got the superior model & all that jazz I'm working in Derby over the weekend, will have to keep an eye out

Forum User
    Damon prob didn't want to risk stopping in case it was just a valver and he got his noble nicked !

UPDATE - Clutch cable ordered, £18.42 + VAT, Pedal £42 + VAT, both from Renault. I cant find a garage brave enough to tackle it in Derby so I am going to tow it to work, and get my tools in my other car and attempt to fix it myself, so any DIY guides would be gratefully received!

ANOTHER UPDATE - Towed it back from BMW to work about half a mile down the road, took battery and airbox off, the cable is connected to the box OK. So its 99% pointing to a bust pedal ratchet. I have followed the guide on here to replace it, and to be honest I aint looking forward to it! Anyways I will fully update on a proped diagnosis when its in bits! Cheers for all the replies.