Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TAO

Another First overall at last weekend's Jumbo Targa rally ( https://chelmsfordmc.co.uk/TargaRally/Javalin19 )
    Comptetitors seem to be moving away from Clios these days - the competition being mostly from MX5s last weekend, but the old Williams still beats them all! These cars seem to be getting so rare, treasured and valuable these days that it's a almost embarassing me thrashing mine every month - but I don't think I'll stop having all the fun just yet!

More hi-res pictures here: http://www.redroofsfarm.com/Willy/Willy.html

Great Pics...

In the Stanta Targa rally it looks like your tyre is coming off the rim on the tarmac stage lol.

Regards Ian

Thanks Ian - yes, got a puncture at Stanta after a spent bullet cartridge (it is all on MOD training land, and littered with old cartridge cases) went through the tyre - had to drive through the test on the rim before I could change it - fortunately I don't use the original gold speedline alloys for the rallying!

Haven't posted anything on here in a while, so thought I'd add an update since I'm in the process of making so many changes to the car...

At this year's Stanta Targa rally, the gearbox failed (actually, it failed on the way to the event, so didn't even start) - The bearing on the main shaft under the pinion failed, and damaged both the pinion and gearbox casing. Fortunately, the Quaiffe diff wasn't damaged, so I've been been building up a new box with the old LSD.

It seems that the supply of old JC5 boxes in usable condition is starting to dry up a bit, so I've been building one up with gears and ratios more suited to Targa rallying - I've gone for gear set "I", but the very high-ratio 5th gear cluster from the DCI box and the 65/15 final drive - so 1st-4th gears are all around 10% lower and closer than standard, but with a giant leap up to 5th to make it bearable on the road.

Having done a bit of research - I've discovered that although externally the gearboxes are totally different (with selector mechanism on the top, totally different driveshaft/diff arrangement), the JR5 box as fitted to everything from Mk3/4 Clios/Meggys/Lagunas Nissan Juke/Note, most Dacias, etc. share many of the internal components, and in many cases are improved/better engineered internally than the old JC5 boxes but are a straight swap into a JC5 casing. For instance, the input shaft, all main gear clusters, 2 of the selector forks, crownwheel and pinion (but not diff.) are all a straight swap into an old JC5 gearbox casing, and opens up the options available for gear ratios on the Williams considerably, including final drive rations of 4.3, 4.5 and even 4.9 when the lowest ratio Renault ever fitted to a JC5 box was the 4.1 as fitted to the Williams and 172/182.

Since they're so common right now, I've been able to pick up a couple of JR5 boxes with low mileage that appear like new internally for next to nothing, in order to build up my new JC5 box.

Whilst the engine/box has been out, I've also gone about some engine work - so the engine is apart, with high compression forged pistons & rods going in, catcams and pulleys, lightened flywheel, etc. so I suspect the potential for it to just explode on the next Targa has increased exponentially

Will get round to posting more photos at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Haven't posted anything on here in a while, so thought I'd add an update since I'm in the process of making so many changes to the car...

At this year's Stanta Targa rally, the gearbox failed (actually, it failed on the way to the event, so didn't even start) - The bearing on the main shaft under the pinion failed, and damaged both the pinion and gearbox casing. Fortunately, the Quaiffe diff wasn't damaged, so I've been been building up a new box with the old LSD.

It seems that the supply of old JC5 boxes in usable condition is starting to dry up a bit, so I've been building one up with gears and ratios more suited to Targa rallying - I've gone for gear set "I", but the very high-ratio 5th gear cluster from the DCI box and the 65/15 final drive - so 1st-4th gears are all around 10% lower and closer than standard, but with a giant leap up to 5th to make it bearable on the road.

Having done a bit of research - I've discovered that although externally the gearboxes are totally different (with selector mechanism on the top, totally different driveshaft/diff arrangement), the JR5 box as fitted to everything from Mk3/4 Clios/Meggys/Lagunas Nissan Juke/Note, most Dacias, etc. share many of the internal components, and in many cases are improved/better engineered internally than the old JC5 boxes but are a straight swap into a JC5 casing. For instance, the input shaft, all main gear clusters, 2 of the selector forks, crownwheel and pinion (but not diff.) are all a straight swap into an old JC5 gearbox casing, and opens up the options available for gear ratios on the Williams considerably, including final drive rations of 4.3, 4.5 and even 4.9 when the lowest ratio Renault ever fitted to a JC5 box was the 4.1 as fitted to the Williams and 172/182.

Since they're so common right now, I've been able to pick up a couple of JR5 boxes with low mileage that appear like new internally for next to nothing, in order to build up my new JC5 box.

Whilst the engine/box has been out, I've also gone about some engine work - so the engine is apart, with high compression forged pistons & rods going in, catcams and pulleys, lightened flywheel, etc. so I suspect the potential for it to just explode on the next Targa has increased exponentially

Will get round to posting more photos at some point.
    Great info Alan for all those that like to tinker with this sort of thing...hope you get it all back together and working properly.

Regards Ian

The 2023 AEMC Debden Targa 5.jpg

Another picture from this weekend, having not posted anything for many years - how not to treat your Williams! The car is still going strong, having put up with this sort of punishment for 10 years now. Poor result though since we dropped a couple of minutes after the throttle pedal fell off!

It sounds like you had quite an eventful weekend! It's great to hear that your Williams car has been resilient and going strong for 10 years, even though it had to endure some punishment.