Thread: Sump baffles

Sump baffles

Are they needed inside the sump ? My sump also is up against the oil pump pickup pipe.its a genuine Renault pump

There are about three different sumps/baffles.

Sump baffles stop your oil from flowing all the way to the side of your sump pan when cornering hard as if you imaging all the oil going o the oil all flowing to the Side then the pickup pipe has nothing to pickup but air and air isn't known for its lubricating properties

What's with the sump touching the end of the pickup pipe? I built one of these engine 10 years ago and I remember the same issue with the pickup pipe.i removed the metal end the last time but I know that I shouldn't have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by dimma View Post
    What's with the sump touching the end of the pickup pipe? I built one of these engine 10 years ago and I remember the same issue with the pickup pipe.i removed the metal end the last time but I know that I shouldn't have to do that.
    Never seen that should be impossible if oem parts is used.

There is different plastic baffles that prevents the crank from hitting the oil, but i have never seen any baffles/trapdoors mounted in the sump preventing the oil from moving side to side, megane f7r has the biggest plastic baffle i have seen in a F7 block the crank i completely covered, the smallest is in a F7P it has a small part on the oil pump and one at the end of the sump

I think I have seen some methods used to modify sumps and stop oil surge, involving flaps inside.

I've notice that the Williams sumps are deeper than the 1.8 16v but as far as I know the oil pumps of both engines are the same.ive used a 16v sump with Williams oil pump baffles and I've cut a half inch of the 1.8 baffle which is screwed to the sump so the the sump fits correctly.ive also cut a larger hole in the pick up and flatten it abit to give more clearance from the bottom of the sump.am I mad doing this?