Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

660 miles and still no williams!

Started out at 5am this morning and viewed 2 williams 2's today, with the hope of returning with one, both had 12 months MOT but no tax so I knew I would have to get to a post office before 12.30pm

The first one I knew required the odd bit of work but there was loads of daft issues, I am still considering the car but can't decide if they can be sorted out or not reasonably, so would like a little assistance to decide - will post a thread to ask some questions

The second car soun& looked pretty promising from ebay 91k miles 6 owners all mechanicals overhauled, it was £2600 and I drove 330 miles to see it, got there an it looked OK on the face of it, I was told there was a small piece of rust on the rear arch - the bit he had been honest about was a badly repair bit that was coming back through.

anyways........

boot was rusty inside it, engine bay slam was rusty, under the doors were going, both arches had bubbling all over, the doors were full of filler and to top it off it had been cheaply resprayed in monaco blue, but under the bonnet it was the orignal 449 colour for a williams 2, was very dissapointed to say the least the owner claimed not to know it was the incorrect colour even though the colour on the wings was different when the bonnect was opened!

long day just home!

I think I am going to have to go down the route of restoring one to a good standard so thats why I am still considering the first car if I can get it for the right price!

Forum User
    sorry for the badly worded post - long day!

why can you only edit for 5 mins after posting?!

Forum User
    sorry to hear that Dean.

Forum User
    bit gutted but then I have seen 6 cars now, I think I just need to find a good base car and get it sorted out, full respray, correctly refurbed wheels and tyres.

Unfortuntely a lot of travelling to look at an incorrectly described shed seems to be a common occurrence these days.

It's very difficult to no what the answer to this is..... other than keep looking and REALLY try to pin the owner down over the phone.

If it's any consolation I know this has happened to the MOST experienced of Williams enthusiasts.

Cheers Ian

Forum User
    I can imagine Ian, I am still considering one of the cars but can't make my mind up, its a good shell but is in a sorry state.

thinking on the owner of the second car I viewed wasn't helpful at all with regards to questions and pictures he was adament it will sell anyways, even though fundamentally its the wrong colour tarting up the fact its rotting to bits!

I really want a williams, always have done since I first seen one 18 years ago when a guy down the road owned one, after seeing so many I think restoring a reasonable one is the way to go.

I have fully stripped a 16v they do come to bits very easy but that was 10 years ago when these car's didn't have as many issues!

How much of a rush are you in dean?
    My Williams has been dry stored for 8 years but I'm thinking of re-commissioning it and selling it on.
    Can honestly say its one of the best ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MatBrown View Post
    How much of a rush are you in dean?
    My Williams has been dry stored for 8 years but I'm thinking of re-commissioning it and selling it on.
    Can honestly say its one of the best ones out there.
    I thought you were still looking for a good Williams.... but it sounds like you already have one.

Cheers Ian

Forum User
    Hello Mat, long time no speak I got a few parts from you around 10 years ago to sort issues with my old valver lol.

what model williams is it?

well I've been on and off looking around and keeping an eye for local stuff (<100 miles away) for the last 2 years but seriously for the last 8 months, I really wanted something to enjoy and tinker with this summer.

could you pm me a few more details if you don't mind?

Thanks

Dean

It's a willy2, will send you some more details.
    What's your budget though as it will be a bit more expensive than the ones you've been looking at.