Forum User

heater matrix change

hey all, i'm fed up with being cold in the car and deduced that it is the heater matrix as all else works and has been checked or renewed.. I have a new one to fit... i'm aware that its a dash off job.. but how much has to come off? is it the bit that arrowed in this pic?12.jpg was planning on giving myself the whole weekend to do this if it all has to come out.. i've had the top part of the dash off before so I can get that far.. is there a guide to doing this anywhere, are there any really pain in the bum bits to do?... screws to find to release the dash?.. or if anyone can modify this pic as to where all the screws holes are..that would be even better!! lol
    Last edited by Vandella; 03-03-2013 at 14:06.

I was led to believe you had to take the whole dash off as opposed to just where the arrow is on your pic as it is somewhere close to the passenger footwell/glovebox

Forum User
    I took my dash off last week - literally everything. I'm going back to the garage in a couple of hours, I'll see if I can work out the easiest way for you to do it (if you haven't done it already), personally I wouldn't want to take the whole dash off if it had to go back on the way it came off!

Forum User
    Not sure if you have done it yet but I took some photos - hopefully they come out.

The blower sits in the scuttle and connects through the bulkhead to the heater unit which contains the matrix here..
    stripping 023.jpg

There are 2 torx screws and 4 clips holding the matrix into the heater unit, all visible on this photo..
    stripping 024.jpg

Once the screws are out, push the clips back, wedge a screw driver between matrix and heater and lever out.
    stripping 025.jpg

Then withdraw
    stripping 026.jpg

I'm hoping you can see the side of the matrix by lying in the passenger footwell upside down, otherwise you're going to have a mission taking the dash off and back on again. The heater unit fits here in relation to the bulkhead.
    stripping 028.jpg

HTH

Forum User
    brill, thanks a lot bootstrap. very very much appreciated time and effort!!

Forum User
    Let us know how you get on, gently with the clips - I snapped one.

Forum User
    Finally plucked up the courage to do this this weekend... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater started about 12 yesterday and only had to fill the car back up with coolant.. quite a good day and id rather not have to do it again but a good experience overall! thanks for the help bootstrap, came in handy to know what to look for along with good old heynes!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vandella; 07-04-2013 at 21:57. Reason: photo wouldnt upload, so added a link