Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Opinions and advice?

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...leather/939764

I want to go and see the above car. It is NOT in Hampshire sadly but near Leicester or Derby I think.

Looks awesome?

Muffler delete has been done already.

I don't want to modify the car loads really, just makes for silly insurance quotes. Maybe later.

or....I love the grey:

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/c...in-grey/522990

There don't seem to be any M5's near me ever! I am in Southampton.

Other than the above, I might just go super gay and get an eco car instead so I can spend loads on Clio...

Both lovely cars wobba. mega guzzlers though.

Forum User
    The ad for the blue one is much better written I'd be looking at that before the grey one.

Having said that M5's that old have a risk of a huge bill just around the corner, as long as you walk in with your eyes open they are fantastic cars.

I've got a 550i and I can't see me ever selling it....

Hey, thanks.

I am a firm believer in old=bargain. These are cars waiting for huge bills, but...V8 RWD...massive positive reviews. Even if I bought a 4-6k M5 I could afford the silly issues with engine etc. The rest I can sort with after market coilovers and bushes and do my own work on em...

The Clio costs but that's cos I run a mad spec car everyday to work. At worst, it goes to 19mpg. I think with some TLC it will get better tbh though.

I like top soec cars, so the M5 E39 is the one for me...I also have been looking at special Scoobies though.

The blue one definitely seems the better car from the advert (LMB is the best colour ). Fastidious owner by the looks of it. I know KDS and I can't imagine you would take a car there to get detailing work done on it if there were mechanical things need sorting on the car first. Also he has done quite a high mileage in the car in the short time he has owned it, which again points to someone who depends on the car and thus would keep it tip top. I'd contact him and ask for some interior shots though as there are none I can see on the advert. Lepsons do what is considered to be the closest to OE wheel refurbs (should be 'satin chrome', not silver, with black on the inside of the wheel behind the spokes) so again the fact they were done there shows that it is an owner that knows what he is doing/talking about. He's only selling up because he is moving abroad for work.

The dolphin grey one looks very clean but buying from a dealer not so easy to tell what the previous owner may have been like. Also it is a pre-facelift car which generally consume a bit more oil (up to 1 litre per 1000 miles considered completely normal) whereas the 2001-on 'facelift' cars are better in this regard (mine doesn't seem to consume any between oil changes, but then I do do them every 3k or so anyway so not much chance for it to be too noticeable!). At the end of the day, for someone like yourself who is very mechanically adept, having to chuck a bit of oil in it every now and then isn't a big deal anyway, but some people seem to think it is a big issue on the early cars (even quoting the extra expense is an issue, which at 1l per 1000 miles I work out about a tenner when you would probably do over £250 in petrol in the same mileage, so I can't see it makes much odds for an extra £10 in oil to be honest). Also that car doesn't have a sat nav, which makes it less desirable to some, and so worth less than an equivalent that has it. Whilst it's not a great system anyway (I use my TomTom in it most of the time if I need nav) you do get a much better screen and computer display in the later cars with a widescreen sat nav.

Give me a shout if there is anything else you need to know.

Cheers Stevie!

Munich Legends are well known and they did the VANOS a couple of years ago too...

He sold the LMB :(

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba View Post
    He sold the LMB :(
    That's why I forwarded you the ad within about an hour of him putting it up for sale! The good ones don't hang about, and that was definitely one of the nicer ones I had seen up for sale in the last few months. There'll be other fish in the sea though - I looked at a good half dozen before finding mine. Just make sure you take a look at some for sale locally in the meantime, to save you having to travel hundreds of miles getting the learning done, even if they aren't the colour/year/spec or whatever that you are interested in, so that when the right one comes up you can jump on it and press the button knowing its up to scratch as soon as you have viewed it (if its the first one you have viewed it can be harder to convince yourself to commit and in the meantime the opportunity could be missed).

The trouble is, there are none locally!

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/74653-...5-lemans-blue/

This guy will sell for £6k. Shame the advert is pooh.

Link doesn't work.

If none for sale locally then just a waiting game I guess. I think there was a dealer down your way that had one of interest when I was looking and I said can you hold it to the weekend and fairly he said that he'd hold it from the time I set off from home until I got there as it was a 3 hour drive but when I rang him before setting off on the Sat he said that he had already sold it during the week. I'll see if I can find my notes from the time and tell you who it was - they sounded like they knew what they were looking for and would buy them in if they knew they had a likely purchaser/demand. It must have been decent as I rang him the minute it came advertised and yet it was still gone by the weekend.

It's a shame that the weather was not great yesterday as I was toying with the idea of driving down to the dyno day - you could have then had a good look over mine there. Of course if you are ever up this way you're more than welcome to pop by and have a look. Or if there are any for sale up here why not do a viewing as well and I'm happy to come along and take a look at any for sale with you too.