Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Misfires again

Forum User
    Perhaps when you have another (reliable) car on the go, then you'll have more time to sort out the Clio? I know when ever I need to fix a car, to go to work or something, it always goes wrong.

Keep the faith.

Sometimes the air box can squash the wires in the loom. Give it s try without the box and see if you can replicate the fault!

Quote Originally Posted by northy View Post
    Sometimes the air box can squash the wires in the loom. Give it s try without the box and see if you can replicate the fault!
    If his airbox is squashing any wires round that area he's got much bigger problems, like someone stole his jenvey's

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy View Post
    If his airbox is squashing any wires round that area he's got much bigger problems, like someone stole his jenvey's
    LOL , some one needs to steal the whole thing.....

then mine come to think of it
    Last edited by jock; 02-12-2012 at 01:45.

Quote Originally Posted by icenutter View Post
    Perhaps when you have another (reliable) car on the go, then you'll have more time to sort out the Clio?
    This. Even if no more time to fix it you will find it a lot less stressful when you have something else you can rely on. I had a 405Mi16 that I used to sprint and hillclimb and it broke down near enough every time I went out in it (which admittedly was either on track or driving it to/from the track) so much so that the AA wrote to me and said that they weren't going to pick me up any more. I could just about live with it though as after it was dragged back home I could just put it back in the garage and fix it in a few days' (or weeks') time - if I had been dependent on it for the school run or to get to work or something it would have been an absolute nightmare. Even today I feel stressed when the wife's car starts playing up as it's so crucial to day-to-day life for her and the kids (I manage with my bicycle for most of the week) and neither of us are too keen on her using one of my cars for family duties so hers really needs to be running well 100% of the time, which is difficult to achieve. I'm sure once you have another car you'll feel a weight off your shoulders and can get on with getting everything sorted in a more relaxed frame of mind, and enjoying the Clio more on the times you do decide to use it (rather than being compelled to use it). Stay strong.

I went out at 7.30 in the freezing cold on Sunday morning. Tightened a screw on alternator and rewired the regulator wires back to the OE fitment. The dash light now does not come on for the battery, which probably means the wires are the wrong way round. With them the other way round, the way I rewired them the night before, the battery warning light is always dimply lit.

Car STILL misfired a few times on the way in to work today. Same as before.

Last time I installed this alternator it was reading very high output, like 16.5/17v on the battery terminals. I now get, with the same setup, only 11.7v.

I think tbh at this stage I am going to give up and leave it with an auto electrician or something as this is completely doing my nut in.
    Last edited by Wobba; 03-12-2012 at 11:01.

Was the car in Bristol any good?

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobba View Post
    I went out at 7.30 in the freezing cold on Sunday morning. Tightened a screw on alternator and rewired the regulator wires back to the OE fitment. The dash light now does not come on for the battery, which probably means the wires are the wrong way round. With them the other way round, the way I rewired them the night before, the battery warning light is always dimply lit.

Car STILL misfired a few times on the way in to work today. Same as before.

Last time I installed this alternator it was reading very high output, like 16.5/17v on the battery terminals. I now get, with the same setup, only 11.7v.

I think tbh at this stage I am going to give up and leave it with an auto electrician or something as this is completely doing my nut in.
    I've seen endless problems with reconditioned alternators. the regulators they use are all crap. Burpspeed racecar went through 5 alternators in the first half of their first season before buying a new one from renault which has been fine for over 2 years now.

ECU voltage is another issue, fluctuating voltage cause all sorts of issues even if voltage comp is inc in map.

It's either crank sensor signal being lost or a shitty power supply to the ECU I think.