Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

welding steering column

i think this might need doing on my williams 3 but does any 1 have a diagram on exactly where it needs welding so i can double check it is the bush before welding.....and by welding is it just replacing the bush completly?

I thought about this but have decided to buy a new column.

IMHO steering is one thing you can't mess about with. For the sake of £160 for the part plus fitting is it worth it?

yea but i dont know if this is def the problem??/and how much will fitting cost me as well???according to most people though welding it is fine...so i just assumed it would be ok

Welding is fine.. it does fix the problem.. to a degree.

There is supposed to be movement, else Renault wouldn't have designed it like that.. but welding it stops it all.. apparently, it can vibrate etc.. at high speeds which isn't that great IMO.

Winston sold his at the right time for me.. so I guess I was lucky. It should be going in the car soon!

Yeh jammy bugger! Winston said he'd sold his to you in my thread about steering column.

doe su remove the bush completely then????i know its unlikely to happen but if the weld were 2 break there surely i have no steering at all???i m trying to check the joint at the mo had a look but do i need to reove the rubber cover to see the bush or does it just slide up???

Quote Originally Posted by scotte666
    doe su remove the bush completely then????i know its unlikely to happen but if the weld were 2 break there surely i have no steering at all???i m trying to check the joint at the mo had a look but do i need to reove the rubber cover to see the bush or does it just slide up???
    I'm guessing if the weld broke, you'd have extremely loose steering..

(Going on the science behind welding it, heh.. to stop the movement)

Banned
    I remeber a guy called crono posting on CS and he made mention of competition car all having welded columns.

Welding the colum doesnt make the steering vibrate. It does give you more feeling of the road throught the wheel though. Mine has been welded for about 1 year and i like it. If the weld breaks there is no dange of the steering failing as the universal joint will just go back to its previous loose state. If you can afford it and want originality fit a new column. If you want a cheap possible performance enhancer, then weld it.

The cup cars may have been welded as the extra stress on the column UV joint from the heavy manual rack would probably have worn stright through the rubber bush.

Banned

When the rubber wears away a gap is left between the upper male and lower female parts, such that the male part rotates within the feamle part before the edges meet and rotation occurs. Weldint just links the upper and lower parts together (as the rubber would) and prevents the unwanted looseness.

cheers for that so it shouldnt cost more than 30 quid to get welded up then.does that rubber boot over the top just pull off or u have 2 cut it off
    ???il have a lok 2moro see whats going on.