Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non starter

Non starter

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me. A mate of mine has a 95 Williams Clio 3 that has been lying up housed for a while and when he went to start her wouldnt start. Tried a new battery and a tow start to my place with no sucess. After a quick look the plugs were oily with a wide gap. So I cleaned them and closed the gap slightly. Attached the plug lead and earthed the body of it to see if it sparked. No spark. The distribuator cap seems to be worn but the rotor arm ok.

Which should I do first, change the Distribuator cap and Rotor arm or can i check the Coil Module Pack to see is it at fault?

Forum User
    I would check what you say above, but also the crank sensor. I had similar problems a while back and after changing all of what you have suggested it turned out to be the CS

Forum User
    i had an similar issue.. car would light up, but not turn over. checked fuel pump as i didnt get the pump whir when the key was turned.. this turned out to be a loose connection on the ecu!!

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply back to anyone on this. Got half an hour or so to go back to this again. I have power at one wire but frig all at any others at the ign module. I'm looking for a wiring diagram but Auto data doesn't have much. lol Has anyone a wiring diagram? Many Thanks PS my pump is whirring nut i've no spark.

Has The immobiliser switched off.. ?

I'm not sure. I do know that when you press the button the alarm bleeps and lights flash as normal. Is there any way to by pass it? Also has anyone got a wiring diagram for the engine ECU so I can check for a broken wire from the crank sensor to the ECU and to the IGN module. Where is the ECU located maybe i could do it the hard way and check for a broken wire?

If you still have the original alarm u will find a toggle switch down by the glove box to disable the imobaliser circuit from arming after 15 seconds.

The ECU is under the jack / jack holder on the drivers side scuttle panel.

Thanks for that northy. Had a bit of head scratching yesterday couldn't figure it out!! Its a toad alarm. I'm going to check the receiver in the roof for water ingress/ damp. Common problem apparently,its the simple things you forget about sometimes. Lol

So here's the update, removed the receiver unit at the sunroof dried it out etc. etc. The car let a splutter and refused to start. I have power and earth in all the right places, from what i found according to this.

Forum User
    Have you tried looking about a new module?? ;)