Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

Broken timing belt

Hi, just to say that our Clio Williams is owned and operated by my daughter. We have owned it since February 2005 without any real problem, but this afternoon, after visiting an elderly relative, apparently the timing belt broke.
    I am just asking what the usual scenario is with this type of failure? Is it generally a 'terminal' engine or is it the luck of the draw as regards damage?
    Thanks for your help.

If she dipped the clutch in quick enough she could have avoided catastrophic failure however if she isn't very car savvy then I doubt she would have thought of doing this. You might only have slight damage (bent valves etc) but I think you need to expect the worst I am afraid.

It's more a case of whip the head off & see what's been done inside but it's usually just bent valves

Forum User
    Okay, thanks lads. I'm just off over to visit her and commiserate.
    The car was bought by her brother, who lost his life while racing his motorbike at Cadwell Park. She has vowed never to part with it, so we will get it sorted whatever. Her fiances friend has his own garage, so we should be okay eventually.
    Thanks again.

Carbman - if you need anything then I am sure that anyone and everyone on here will be willing to offer their knowledge and expertise. Especially the fact that the car is so sentimental.

Maybe you can use this as an opportunity to pull the engine out & give it a complete overhaul, spruce up the engine bay etc

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by p4cks View Post
    Carbman - if you need anything then I am sure that anyone and everyone on here will be willing to offer their knowledge and expertise. Especially the fact that the car is so sentimental.
    Thanks a lot lads for your offers. Learned a little bit more last night. She had just set off from traffic lights and she says she didn't really think it had started moving when it went, so hopefully not too much damage.

16vpaddy... I think the guy that will be doing it for her will do a decent job, so as you say, a chance to get everything out and do a clean up.
    I'll keep an eye on progress, if there's anything that you guys can help with, I'll let you know.
    Now to get back to my own job of the moment...cleaning up my garage!!! I'm not a very tidy person, so quite a bit to do.
    Thanks everyone for your interest.

Forum User
    Just had a thought....do you guys have a favourite supplier of parts for your cars, that we ought to use? Or is it a case of get them where you can?

Renault would be my choice tbh mate.

For any genuine parts get them from these guys http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/cate...iams-Products/ but stuff from motor factors will be fine, just don't get a headgasket made by BGA as for some unknown reason they just fail.

If the engine does get pulled out you might as well replace the clutch, if you do that, the most important part to buy & replace is this http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/prod...Stop-Bush.html