Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    I think we saw the same with the PE2 tyres.

'Specially constructed for the 182'

'Stiffer sidewall'

And we later found out that they werent specially made for the 182, and anyone could buy them and they were just normal tyres.

Just a buzz word that at the time appeals to the stupid British mentality for gimmicks.

Such a cynic

Banned
    :D haha

I personally cant see the need for reservoir dampers on anything but competition cars.

Even then, to my mind its only really rally cars and offroad racers that give dampers an absolute pounding and are likely to overheat them.

They are obviously very good dampers, but as Stromba says they really are overkill on a lightweight road car like a Clio.

In my experience the tyres and brakes would overheat long before the dampers anyway.

Jeremy Townsend assured me that they definitely were not gimmicks intended to assure that the bits left in the parts bin at Dieppe went.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ritchspeed
    I personally cant see the need for reservoir dampers on anything but competition cars.

Even then, to my mind its only really rally cars and offroad racers that give dampers an absolute pounding and are likely to overheat them.

They are obviously very good dampers, but as Stromba says they really are overkill on a lightweight road car like a Clio.

In my experience the tyres and brakes would overheat long before the dampers anyway.
    I agree with this totally. If you look at a slow motion of a sports bike front wheel travelling over pretty normal roads you can see why they have resevoir dampers. Constant little defections in the front fork. I dont know whether it is because of the tyres or really stiff springs, but the dampers must take a pounding, just as they would on an off road car (alot of 4x4 competition cars in off road events utilise them too).

Banned
    Outside the Dieppe factory can be found the origin of the Sach dampers

Location: Williams Land Cars: Minty Williams 2 & Now 0171 - AV IT !