Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 0039 - L231NUM

I'm now the proud new owner of this car.

Fantastic condition, has 104k on the clock. No service book or manual with it though so I'm having to learn my way around it the hard way ;) Sold for £4750

Seems like the ebay post above sold to the dealership I bought it from. The guy at the dealership says it was his personal car, so either he was a) trying to persuade me to get it by telling me it was looked after, b) the guy above sold it to him and he had it for a very short period, or c) the guy above is the guy at the dealership and it didn't sell privately.

Just cleaned my car (well, the outside, at least). Took a quick couple of snaps before the sun disappeared.

The bodywork is in fantastic condition, it's clearly been resprayed fairly recently (and very well sprayed at that). All the nooks and crannies where you'd usually find dirt and grime and faded paint are a nice shiney blue. The wheels are less so, however; they look like a bit of the wrong shade of gold (receipt for respray says "Suzuki 22V"?) and obviously doesn't have the silver trim. They're a bit scuffed in some places, such as the bolt holes.

Forum User
    Looks very well from the pics, get some of engine bay posted.

From the images it looks very nice, well done with your purchase

Checked April 2015: Alive and fully licensed

Forum User
    Definitely is alive and well, saw it today and it looked very tidy!

Dunc

Where abouts? On a visit to my dad's near Diss today

Now for sale on car and classic £10,500

This is my Renault Clio Williams 1, #0039. Williams are rare enough these days, but Williams 1s are hardly ever seen for sale, less so a W1 with a chassis number with two digits, such as this one.

The Williams is not your "Papa, Nicole" Clio. Based on the 1.8L 16V, the Williams was, supposedly, built to homologate the Clio into the new French Rally Championship. It seems some may disagree, but what is for sure is that it was designed to celebrate the success Williams-Renault had in the F1 Constructors Championship in 1992 and 1993. The first run, of which this car is of, was of 3800 cars, each with a gold plaque with the chassis number. It's understood that the first 500 were destined to the UK (and a couple to Europe), but today about 70-80 W1s remain on UK roads. The car was available only in 449 Sport Blue with gold Speedline wheels, and had no optional extras.

Later, the Williams 2 and 3 came along, either because of popular demand or because Williams-Renault kept dominating F1 through the 90s. These do not have the gold plaque, but they do have ABS, more electric gadgets and improved hi-fi systems, and the W3 had a sunroof and came in a lighter 432 Monaco Blue.

The Williams has very deep and notoriously comfortable bucket seats, with a unique grey pattern. Hopefully you like the colour blue, because aside from the bodywork, you were treated to blue sports dials and three blue auxiliary gauges, blue gear knob, blue carpet with blue boot space, blue W logos in the backrest, blue piping around the edge of the backrest and seat, and blue seatbelts. It comes with a Philips hi-fi (in black), electric windows and an infrared central locking system.

Under the NACA-ducted bonnet that opens from the front, you have a unique 16v 2.0L naturally aspirated multi-point injection engine producing 145-155 bhp (depending on who you ask) at 6100rpm. Meanwhile max torque is 129 lbs-ft at 4500rpm; 85% of which is available at just 2500rpm. 0-60mph is 7.6-7.8s (again depending on who you ask) and apparently tops out at 134mph. It also has a wider front track, uprated anti-roll bars at the front, 4 torsion bars at the back, and uprated springs and dampers all round, all based on the Clio Cup cars at the time.

To drive, you have a notoriously stiff sports clutch, and a notoriously French driving position. But you are treated to the best seats in the automotive universe, virtually zero blind spots, plus, at the end of the day, it's a Renault Clio... So you have a usable boot, 50L fuel tank, and enough room to comfortably fit 4.5 people.

The bodywork is in fantastic condition for it's age and having covered 111k miles, no rust at all and no surface rust in the usual spots, such as in the doors, boot, engine bay etc. Totally standard original spec, which is rare for a Williams, the only modifications are a Magnex Stainless exhaust because the Renault ones are prone to rust, and a K&N cone filter. The former makes a nice sound and the tip is the same as a standard one, so not at all daft or chavvy! Also has a new Cat from it's MOT in June, comes with a decat pipe too.

The previous owner spent way too much money in restoring the body work and had taken out and repaired any rust in the sills/arches, which is where the Williams always rust due to lack of protection in the water channels. This has all been addressed and painted superbly in the standard 449 in all areas, and the underside waxoyled.

She is mechanically sound and has been looked after over the year I have had it by my nearby Renault dealer and local Renault expert, Mark Fish, who actually raced in the Clio Cup in the 90s. The Mk1 Clio 16V Cup cars are what the Williams is based on, so Mark knows his way around a Williams and many owners in the area flock to him.

MOT is in June, and the previous one had no advisories. The only thing that may need doing, according to Mr Fish, is one of the handbrake cables and brake pads.

The car has a thick wallet of invoices, certificates, receipts, manuals, brochures, and even the original tax disk holder.

Installed is a Clifford Concept 300 immobiliser which is so good sometimes it doesn't even let me in. The car has never been stolen.

In September/October 2015 the engine had a rebuild done by Mark Fish. New cambelt, tensioner pulley, aux belt, starter motor, water pump, head gasket, oil filter, spark plugs, valves, engine and gearbox mounts, and more, and also rear wheel bearings, brake hoses and the offside handbrake cable, and essentially had a full service, she's only travelled 400 miles since. The car has also been treated since my ownership with a new radiator, battery, throttle cable, track rod ends, four new Pirelli tyres in 06/2015, and more. Also has an original spare key.

The interior is in great condition, carpets are in great condition, seats are beautiful and still as comfy as they are renowned to be. Gear knob looks as-new and has a standard spec Philips cassette player (with code and manual) and also has brand new standard Renault/Philips speakers. No sub-woofer or additional speakers have been installed; it's common for people to cut speaker holes in the doors, as the W2 and W3 have in as standard. However I much prefer the tinny cassette sound that the early 90s had to offer.

Something of interest to note is the addition of a very rare Renault boot liner, which are strangely very hard to get hold of. This is essentially a plastic tray that sits in the boot space to protect the carpet. It has a couple of small cracks in the weak spots but I think that's just your traditional French engineering and only adds authenticity. However it still works there and protects the boot very well.

The Williams are highly sought after and collectable cars now, and so #39 needs to go to a deserving owner.

I'm having to sell her because I regrettably I can't afford to look after her any more. I don't use this as my daily, I have another car which I need to pay for, so sadly she has to go.

Genuine enquiries/offers only please, no tyre kickers or window shoppers. I am located in North Essex, please text or email ideally.
    Price: £10500 Offers invited
    Advert Type: For Sale
    Category: Classic Cars
    Make: Renault
    Model: Clio
    Model (alt): Clio Willams 1
    Year: 1993
    Region: Essex
    Town: Colchester
    Telephone: 07043 237922 Privacy Service
    E-mail: Contact Advertiser via Email
    Listing Date: 26-Feb-2016
    Ref: C714942

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi! What's wrong with the door? Can you fix it first?

Quote Originally Posted by kacpergbb View Post
    Hi! What's wrong with the door? Can you fix it first?
    Nothing?