Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Paint

Original Paint

Could someone please explain to me what the fuss is about William's having original paint, and it being better or preferable to respray?

Do cars entering concourse or competitions get more points for not being resprayed?

Is it just dick swinging?

I can't understand it either - yes it would be nice but I wouldn't poo poo a nice one just because it's had some work.

The likelyhood of finding an unpainted one without rust issues is very small.

So what then, buy it, wait for it rust and bask in the glory that at least it hadn't had a respray?

Im still assuming there is some kind of show merit for having any car on original paint, whatever the car is? Is that right?

i think its more to do with the fact that original paint hides nothing....new paint can hide a multitude of sins. no matter how much is spent, things can be bodged.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 live View Post
    i think its more to do with the fact that original paint hides nothing....new paint can hide a multitude of sins. no matter how much is spent, things can be bodged.
    I hadn't considered that. Very good point.

well thats the main thing for me anyway.could be diff for others. ;)

if paying top dollar then fair enough, the risk of 'sins' may be significant enough to think twice. however the cost of a car with original paint is likely to be high and with the age of the cars, even if the sins that are covered on the 'worked' car haven't come through yet............they will be in the post. its metal, it rusts if its used. hell it rusts sat in air ffs. not indicative to a happy relationship really!

I think the point is, any car (williams) that's not had paint yet and not requiring it upon purchase will be ultra low mileage and garage kept/dry weather only used. I think that's more the dream, finding an absolute split mint original stunner. seems a bit of a mix of emotions from Mr Live as well, he's forever telling us to not mollycoddle these car and get out there and use them...then wants to find one that's on original paint

That makes sense.

I wasn't having a dig at anyone, more that I wanted to understand the logic behind preferences.

lol.im not the 1 looking for one on original paint coops...i think you have me mistaken. i dont need 1. ;)

as you rightly say, most have had paint at some time in their lives, fresh paint is a bonus in the looks dept, as like everything else, the processes and quality have come quite a long way in the last 20 years. all im saying is that cars with new paint could be hiding anything underneath them. paper mache/filler, badly repaired rust etc etc etc. and freshly painted/restored ones do bring a premium over tatty ones. but the tatty ones wear their downfalls for all to see, knowing you have to spend £xxx on repairing gives a bargaining point. fresh paint could need the same work doing again in 6 months, but fetch a higher price cos theyv been done. but still end up costing you the same £xxx to repair. so its money wasted on the original purchase price.

these cars are all about driving. imho. and if looked after well, they wont be a rotten heap. hell mines been outside for the whole time iv owned it, apart from the last 2 years, still no rusty arches etc that youd expect. so i must have been doing something right ;)

So what do you do then? pay xxx for the best out there? or buy a rusty one and drive it around as is because it's oem+ !