Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Yes, I pulled out some wires today and had a close look at the crank sensor wiring at the plug. Seems fine. I stopped a tiny short with the interior lights temporarily. I bought anotehr battery, a Bosch, no difference with that either.

I tested the spark again from the both coilpacks. 1 & 2 spark seem erratic, e.g. they spark but stop sometimes and then splurge out a bunch of sparks out of sequence. 3 & 4 spark fine it seems, just sparking in sequence with the turning over noise. Anyone seen this before?

It has been said why don't I plug in a laptop 'and run diagnostic'. There is no diagnostic tool as such for this ECU, it is just a case of looking at the map and the sensor feedback. I don't have a laptop, but I have just gotten a COM to USB adaptor for it so I don't have to use an old COM port laptop.

All of this is a pain in the arse.

Forum User
    i can send you a spare coil pack if you want to test it and rule that out. if it fixes it buy it. if not send it back. its sat here doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by diditno View Post
    i can send you a spare coil pack if you want to test it and rule that out. if it fixes it buy it. if not send it back. its sat here doing nothing.
    It's worth a try! Thanks very much :D I'll send you a PM!

Tomorrow after work I will be checking the wiring loom and pins to ECU. The LED on the ECU should stay green when cranking, it flickers green but then goes red. Apparently this indicates a possible loss of synchronisation with the crank sensor, or that is has somehow lost it's 60-2 sensor setting for the Megane flywheel...it could also be due to interference from other electrical sources.

Forum User
    I wonder if the ECU has lost it's map somehow, like the wiring fault has spiked it and cleared it down.

I spoke to Dave Walker about it and he said it wasn't possible for it to lose the map, but I am wondering if it has reset the basic configuration or a setting somewhere. He has a backup of my map just in case.

I've got that USB adapter you linked on FB, just need a laptop, which I think I can get hold of np. When I plug it in I can check that. In the meantime I have some bling for the engine bay and so if I need to check the loom, no big loss as I can fit my shiny new stuff at the same time.

It's actually scary when it backfires out the trumpets as it is pinking loads obviously and you can feel it. I stop cranking the second it does it.

Forum User
    Posting coil pack today fella

Quote Originally Posted by diditno View Post
    Posting coil pack today fella
    :D Lovely.

I could have damaged the coils I already have here as the car was doing some weird stuff and shorting out. The electrics are ok with the alternator now though.

I am taking to ECU and loom out tonight to check over.

good luck fella! hope you find the cause!

Yea, I am beginning to really miss ITB noises :(