Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tell me about Wide-Track Conversion ........

Hi,
    As part of the ongoing Cup Racer improvement project I was wondering whether there is an opportunity to widen the track to improve the cornering performance ?

I have seen various forum members offering wide-track parts for sale (R19 wishbones ets). So, please forgive my ignorance, can anybody tell me if this is worthwhile, or even if the Cup Car is already wide-tracked ?

We've got AST Coilovers and topmounts on order, so anything that would allow us to get the maximum out of the new suspension would be worth investigating......

many thanks,

Jamie

Should already have the Williams wide track fitted, it's possible to fit 172 track which is slightly wider again.

The williams wide track Was first fitted to the cup cars. They used the R19 wishbone to get more front caster than what was later used on the Williams.

If you look at the front wheel on a Williams it's in the middle of the arch, cup it's pushed closer to the front bumper!!!

The only upgrade you could do Jamie as mat says is go to 172 track.

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for. What would be involved in the 172 set-up ? Wishbones, drive shafts, steering rack ??? Is it cost effective ?

Enjoying getting to know these little cars .........

I'll do a proper update on how the racing is going, together with some pictures when I have some time. The car is now back in storage awaiting arrival of our AST suspension, and it's going to Mick Cross at Autocross at the end of the month for some fibreglass bits 'n' bobs and a look to see what can be done on the aero side of things (splitter, undertray, diffuser etc).

Jamie

Forum User
    For a 172 set up, you need driveshafts, hubs, suspension, rack and lower arms. But on the upside with the 172 hubs, you can run bigger discs and calipers and a much better selection of track pads are avaiable.

Just how much wider is the 172 set up?
    And caster difference?

What type of AST dampers ære you going to fit?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by diditno
    For a 172 set up, you need driveshafts, hubs, suspension, rack and lower arms. But on the upside with the 172 hubs, you can run bigger discs and calipers and a much better selection of track pads are avaiable.
    Thanks, that looks like there is too much involved to be worthwhile. It would be a bit crazy if we had to get more brackets made up to fit our Wilwood calipers having forked out to get them to fit the Cup hubs !

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by cliokongen
    And caster difference?

Michael
    Michael,
    To be honest I have no idea what AST suspension we are getting. It is for full race use, so it's not the "off the shelf" spec available from KAM Racing. Mark Fish has been responsible for placing the order, so the spec was down to him ! I do know the rear shocks, somewhat unusually, are coil-overs with helper springs to complement the torsion bars.
    They are due to arrive in about 3 weeks, so I'll know more then !

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by cliokongen
    And caster difference?

Michael
    Michael,
    To be honest I have no idea what AST suspension we are getting. It is for full race use, so it's not the "off the shelf" spec available from KAM Racing. Mark Fish has been responsible for placing the order, so the spec was down to him ! I do know the rear shocks, somewhat unusually, are coil-overs with helper springs to complement the torsion bars.
    They are due to arrive in about 3 weeks, so I'll know more then !

Jamie
    Thanks Jamie - please do...
    Have been hunting for a new track set up for a long time.
    AST's look like good quality - but as you say nothing really to find "off the shelf"...

Michael

Some nice stuff being ordered here Jamie.

Not sure if you could run the 172 wishbone / drive shaft on standard Williams hubs so u can keep your calipers[/list]