Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

30A fuse popping

Hi guys,

I've had this problem intermittently for a while but recently it's come to a head. I keep popping fuse after fuse (30amp) which covers the immobiliser. I would imagine it also covers something else to seeing as its a 30Amp. Could anyone else tell me what it is so that I can start hunting for a dodgy connection please.

Thank you!

hhmm..leccie problems pain in the butt!
    30 amp fuse under the glovebox right? Could be an earth wire or dodgy relay. I havent a clue of the layout of the wiring internally but it's possible the immobiliser itself is fubar or if something is connected to it as you say is wonky. I'm only guessing here.
    Mostly with leccie problems it's a case of trial and error. You need to find out what else is connected to that fuse if any and start unplugging till you find the source of the problem.
    Is it the standard immobiliser? Run the car without the immobiliser for a while by unplugging it from under the dash and see how you get on. Wires from the immobliser may lead to the ignition coil and therefore you will need to bridge the wires for the coil to start the car again.
    I know after I did some work on my own car the immobliser kinda gave up and I just threw it out.

Forum User
    Far as I know only 30A Fuses are,
    passenger fusebox :
    F1 window right. F3 window left. F6 Accessories cut off master.
    Engine fusebox :
    F6 engine functions. (F15 Air Con)

Thanks guys.

It's the 30Amp in the engine fusebox.

Quote Originally Posted by Willbee
    Thanks guys.

It's the 30Amp in the engine fusebox.
    Is it dry in there?

Check the loom hasn't rubbed through on the bodywork, usually just behind the passenger headlight.

Think its dry in the fuse box but will double check. It's been in my garage for a couple of days too so will see if any residual moisture that might be there dries up.

I'll take a look at the loom behind the passenger headlight.

This is a bit of a needle in a haystack momet. I hate intermittent electrical problems, especially when like this they develop into permanent (till I fix it) problems!!

It'll be something really easy. Check all bulbs are working correctly. Sometimes the plugs for the lights corrode or get water in. I was blowing fuses because a plug for the rear light cluster had collapsed/corroded and it was shorting out.

OK, update:

The only thing I can find not working is the driver's side fog light. I will of course get a bulb asap.

I also found a couple of cables connectors that I'm hoping someone can identify.

The first picture is of the big multipin connector which I found hanging down in the battery/original airbox location. It isn't connected to anything, I have no idea if or what it should be connected to, and it looks very corroded like it hasn't been connected to anything for sometime ie before I had the problem.

The second mystery cable is in picture 2. It is hanging down in the driver's side wheel arch- possibly related to fog light???

Apparently Ive reached my maximum upload quota for images! please see the following links for the piccys:

Picture1
    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/Untitled.jpg

Picture2
    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...Untitled-1.jpg[/url]