Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

Can someone cast their eyes over this track rod end...

Afternoon everyone,

I changed the track rod ends yesterday but had a little problem on one side(pasenger side) so the williams still isnt perfect..

The problem was the passenger side track rod end i took off had an extended piece that screwed into the rest of the track rod assy, this piece doesnt seem to come off and the drivers side didnt have the same little extension so im a bit lost here

Hopefully you will see what i mean in the picture as the extended piece is still on the track rod end, any help much apreciated!

I'm guessing that's longer than the replacement you've got? Looks like it's just a bit of threaded bar boshed into a threaded bit of tube also connected to the track rod end

as above, looks like a dodgy pikie extension job......i love it

Forum User
    Lol well it wouldnt be the first pikie part ive replaced on this car :o

Any ideas why they would have done this? It was quite a bit longer than the new one ive put on...

Forum User
    May be they fitted a replacement Calver steering rack instead of a Williams one with the wider track, hence he pikey extension. Only thing I can think of.

Forum User
    hmm yeah good thinking..The more i dig around this car the more i wish i hadnt bothered looks like i will have to bodge that on the new track rod by the looks of it then just get hold of a decent willy steering rack and do it all when the engine comes out in the summer :D

Forum User
    I think there is a rack on eBay at the moment. May worth be getting now why you can find one.

would of thought the racks are the same but the track rods arms are longer?dunno. they both do the same turning circle do they not?
    It may also be the rack is not in the center position and hence one side needs longer reach?
    Anyways I'll give you a medal for perseverance

btw if you need that tool for un-doing the inner tie-rod I went and bought one from the states but realized after that I had renault replace mine few years back
    I'm getting wayyy to old for this craic!

That's a typical bodge effort by persons that don't give a **** or have £10 to do it properly.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    That's a typical bodge effort by persons that don't give a f**k or have £10 to do it properly.
    What would the £10 be for wobba???

Its pretty obvious the car has been a track day special at some point in its life maybe this is from that time in its life. Ive also found camber bolts fitted, a receipt for a bumber mount camera etc etc still could be worse thow as its far from a dog, underneath the car is like new as is most of the rest of it except the engine now which ive stuck 20k on over the last year Its suprising how little has gone wrong since ive owned it but its all starting to catch up with me now