Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust

Forum User

Exhaust

Hi guys, I’m after a bit of advice. I know there are a lot of threads on exhausts on here, so apologies if you’re repeating yourself, but I can’t quite find what I would like...

Currently on a completely standard setup. I'm after a stainless exhaust, backbox for definite, not fussed on centre section - fed up with standards looking tatty. Don’t want a huge change in tone, although a nicer note would be preferable - don’t want anything chavvy or really boomy. Don’t want a big tip either (3” ish max), and want it to pass MOT and even the strictest noise limits at track days, comfortably.

Would a magnex backbox mated to a standard setup achieve this? Or any other recommendations?

Any pointers would be grand!

Cheers,

Charlie.

depends how standard you want. any off the shelf stainless will look like just that, it wont look o/e

personally I love a good magnex, subtle tailpipe and nice note the exhaust, I find the mongoose systems a bit droney and the tailpipes too big imo.

either should be fine for MOT and track on a standard engine

I'm sure a custom back box can be made. There is a place near me (Newcastle) that can make a back box up with any tailpipe, any size, and as quiet or as noisey as you want it.

I had a Magnex backbox on my Williams, it was very loud and boomy, especially on the motorways. The best system I had on there was a Powerflow believe it or not, but there are better systems out there, the Powerflow was cheap, pretty well made, just a bit too loud.

Piper do nice systems, but again, too loud. JP Exhausts also make very nice systems, but once again, too loud for me (88db at 3/4 revs - 6000rpm)

Forum User
    Cheers for the inputs all.

I'll be tempted to go custom, but presuming it'll cost a fair bit, it's not bothering me that much that...

TooSkive, did you have your magnex backbox simply mated to the rest of a standard system?

my magnex was the quietest of all the systems I've had. powerflow I had was terrible, so droney and noisey I got rid of it after a week.

seems hit and miss I spose and perhaps that's down to the particular silencers in the system which can vary even on same exhaust from same manufacturer I guess

and yes, a decent custom place will be able to make you an exact replica of the standard system in stainless no worries but it'll cost more than an off the shelf. they can also play with the silencing and baffles etc to get a note you like from the exhaust too

Forum User
    Thanks Coops, cleared it up for me!

While I'm on the topic, what can I expect from a decat on the clio? Sound & power delivery etc.

How much difference does a silenced one make?

Cheers all

When I fitted a decat to the standard system I found the rev's staying high when coming to stop. Maybe the ECU was still learning. I wasn't too keen on the sound it made either. Would possibly sound much better on a custom system.

Performance wise I honestly could not say if it made any difference as I did not go for a long run. I imagine to get the best from a de-cat you would need a remap?

I do miss my old stainless exhaust for the sweet note you can get from them but as the lads have pointed out it's hit and miss on which ones to go for and which to avoid. Motorway drone can be an ear ache and if you go too large on the bore fitment is a bitch.

If I took the plunge again it would be a standard bore size which is 2 inch's and possibly a muffler or some free-flowing silencer in the center section if poss.

a decat, exhaust and/or a remap would do very little on a naturally aspirated car I'm afraid to say.

From what the OP has said, I'd recommend he look at custom systems. They aren't as expensive as you would have thought (I was quoted £200 for a backbox on my VX220 Turbo)

A decat with performance exhaust is equivalent to loosing a passenger in a Williams.