Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re. Exhaust Fitment - What's the best?

At the moment I have a Scorpion centre back and decat on the Willy. I'm not totally happy with the fitment as the wider bore means that I can't put a bracket on the first curve from the back box on the way to the decat. If you do, it just ends up clattering around on the underside of the car. Instead all I have is a male / female sleeve slotted together with a bit of sealant and it sounds as though it's blowing a bit of air at this point on the exhaust.

Now option 1 is just to weld it up..... Thoughts please.

Option 2 is move to another centre back system - Mongoose, Magnex, Powerflow etc. Everything else is pretty much standard, but I like a bit of a rasp, so going bac to standard would be my second choice.

Which fits the best and allows the fitment of the bracket without metal on metal clanging?

Thoughts on a postcard....

Forum User
    I'd go back to standard, that's what I'm thinking of doing. As I have a similar issue

Exhaust adjustment is a fine art

Try bending the exhaust hangers, and using non standard exhaust mounting. You can test positions out with cable ties (not on the hot exhaust though they will only melt).

Lifting the exhaust at one point further along, or dropping it lower, will affect other areas along the exhausts route.

Once you master a Mongoose system and stop it knocking, you'll be a master exhaust adjuster like me.

Re: Re. Exhaust Fitment - What's the best?

Quote Originally Posted by MG1980
    Instead all I have is a male / female sleeve slotted together with a bit of sealant and it sounds as though it's blowing a bit of air at this point on the exhaust.
    For a start, you need an exhaust clamp on this part, or it will just come loose, or possibly pull apart completely.

If what you are saying is that if you clamp it the clamp hits stuff...there are other options:

Mikalor clamp is the way I would go:

Get the right size for exhaust, job done.

Great advice. Thanks Wobbs. What's the difference with a Mikalor clamp? Take it just much slimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by MG1980
    Great advice. Thanks Wobbs. What's the difference with a Mikalor clamp? Take it just much slimmer?
    Get the stainless steel one. They are a lot slimmer that those hefty OE clamps. I use them on my Mongoose and Oreca Grp N exhausts. They are also easier to do up! Simple 10mm socket and ratchet job.

Thanks mate. Perfect. What's the id for your Mongoose? Presume similar bore to the Scorpion.

I can't remember exactly.

I think the Mongoose is 2.25" ID. Quite a few are 2". The Oreca is 2.5" (63mm).

Forum User
    I had a problem similar with my scorpion decat and centre section. What i did was get a catalyst fitting kit for a clio from a motor factors. It came with 4 new bolts and 2 thick gaskets, i used a bit of exhaust gasket sealer and tightened it all to hell with it all of the car. Id had the exhaust of the car 5 times in a year trying to solve the damn blowing from there and this simple little kit @£6 solved it for good i hope!

Forum User
    I read that a bit wrong there thought you meant the decat was blowing :D

I got pissed with my scorpion system and now have the scorpion decat, oem centre section with the flange cut off mated upto a magnex backbox with a detachable elbow. All fits perfectly and noticably goes alot better /sounds nicer than with the full scorpion.