running lean please help

Hi currently tryin to fix engine.. pistons were cracked and rings were shattered, used to eat spark plugs when drove fast, all to me that its running lean and got to hot... Am i right??

Iv got new every and wont be long till its rebuilt, but still will have the same problem.. has any 1 had this b4? Isit dirty Injecters im really not shore

Please help Aaron

Forum User
    Running lean could certainly cause those sort of issues.

When its back together and run in, get a wideband on it and see.

kj16v on here remaps the standard ecu pretty cheaply.

if its a stock engine and ecu then there's no 'mapping' reason it should be running lean.

however theres a multitude of issues it could be, fuel system inc injectors, pump, lines, sender, regulator, sensors somewhere, literally any of them tbh can affect fuelling. timing issue from a cambelt change, the list is pretty much endless. so personally i'd get it running again and have a full diag hook up done and see if you can sort a wideband as chip mentions to nosey over the AFR's

Forum User
    Agreed, if its all stock then the map should be ok, but so many of these cars have been messed around with now it seemed worth mentioning that kj16v can correct the map if thats the issue.

Starting point has to be a wideband if its driving fine (which he posted nothing to imply it wasnt) as most things that can cause leaness (like the ones you and he mentioned) will have symptoms like splutters etc when driving.

Thanks for the help.. im still waiting for the pistons through the post, so will be a month or so b4 its all finished, ill let you know what happens

i think the key is not to drive in anger until you have checked the AFR's really, for the cost of the rebuild another 150 on a wideband setup shouldn't really be an issue