Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Manifolds

Banned
    Not devil and stainless steel

Orbisoud??????

Slightly off topic here. Unless I'm missing something, it's obvious why the Williams system has a smaller bore than the valver one. I was under the impression the Valver is a higher revving engine, producing power higher up, and the Williams is a low-rev unit which produces far more torque at far lower revs. Smaller bore manilfold helps with more torque. Bigger bore manifold produces more top end.

If you're chasing quarter mile times and outright performance, then a Valver manifold may be great. If you're running a tuned engine, of course the extra bore size will give better results.

However, I can't imagine it makes more power low down as well. And on a STANDARD Williams, I can't imagine it will work as well either. If that is the case, then it will become one of the mysteries of the world as to why Renault decided to design a more restrictive manifold for their flagship homologation hot hatch. Particularly after they'd already made the perfect one already.

Preparing to be shot down in flames :P

P.S. Totally agree with Purplesun. Exhaust design is a black art and dependant on all sorts of engine parameters. And a bigger bore doesn't always mean better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zollo
    Slightly off topic here. Unless I'm missing something, it's obvious why the Williams system has a smaller bore than the valver one. I was under the impression the Valver is a higher revving engine, producing power higher up, and the Williams is a low-rev unit which produces far more torque at far lower revs. Smaller bore manilfold helps with more torque. Bigger bore manifold produces more top end.

If you're chasing quarter mile times and outright performance, then a Valver manifold may be great. If you're running a tuned engine, of course the extra bore size will give better results.

However, I can't imagine it makes more power low down as well. And on a STANDARD Williams, I can't imagine it will work as well either. If that is the case, then it will become one of the mysteries of the world as to why Renault decided to design a more restrictive manifold for their flagship homologation hot hatch. Particularly after they'd already made the perfect one already.

P.S. Totally agree with Purplesun. Exhaust design is a black art and dependant on all sorts of engine parameters. And a bigger bore doesn't always mean better.

I agree mate. Renault would have almost certainly tried the valver manifold on the Williams, but decided to go to the expense of making a brand new item. When you consider than they werent shy about 'borrowing' parts for the Williams from other Renault cars, i see this as evidence that Renault think the 4-1 is a better design for the F7R, and the valver manifold had some key disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Zollo

I'll let you know mate, my Valver manifold is going on today, if it's no better or worse it's coming off, is its better it's staying

thats the best way rob.....

if you havent tried it for yourself you will never know.

good luck mate.....and make sure u plant your foot in all gears

Quote Originally Posted by northy
    good luck mate.....and make sure u plant your foot in all gears
    Will do

but not on motorways