Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ecu problem

Forum User
    Or third even

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by fabulicious
    Would it not be the standard williams chip you are using that is at fault? where did you get it from and could you not have got a different default williams chip installed by Kj?
    Had this problem before and a new ecu cured it.
    can you explain this in detail ? ^^
    did you find out the ecu that made it rev high, was fitted with an aftermarket chip inside ??

i got my STANDARD WILLIAMS chip from KJ as well but i am not sure if he tried it before he sent it out to me . I have since sent him a pm again asking this .

Quote Originally Posted by schakal
    Quote Originally Posted by fabulicious
    Would it not be the standard williams chip you are using that is at fault? where did you get it from and could you not have got a different default williams chip installed by Kj?
    Had this problem before and a new ecu cured it.
    can you explain this in detail ? ^^
    did you find out the ecu that made it rev high, was fitted with an aftermarket chip inside ??

i got my STANDARD WILLIAMS chip from KJ as well but i am not sure if he tried it before he sent it out to me . I have since sent him a pm again asking this .
    Ok, at one point I had my original ECU which was unopened,untampered with whichever way you wanna put it. It was working.

Then after a loom change and some dicking around with the alternator which cause a massive surge or spark the ecu started giving me trouble. High rev's as soon as you started the car and continued climbing.
    Tried a new map sensor, 2 different ICV's and did the usual of checking for leaks.
    Nothing. still the problem you are experiencing.

Found another ECU on PH, untampered with and original, plugged it in and hey presto everything back to normal.

ok nice one fabs

My case is much different by the sounds .

ai schaks but the symptoms as you described it are identical to what I had. duff ECU mate and in your case duff eprom/ecu is very likely also. why not ask Mat to send you an ecu to try? You will always get your money back on it if it does not work.

Without a big hole in the inlet or one of the breather pipes the only other logical thing to make the revs go up like that is the ICV.
    Here is something you can try to determine is it is indeed the ECU is opening the ICV too much.

Remove the airbox and the pipe that goes from the airbox to the ICV also. Leave the ICV attached to the inlet.

You should now be able to see clearly inside the ICV and notice the valve open.
    Turn on the ignition. Do not start the car!
    With a small flat head screw driver stick it into the ICV and slowly close the valve till you see the valve almost closed. Use common sense if you cannot see it clearly.

Start the car. At this point all should be good.

Then, turn off the car completely and restart it. Chances are the ECU will again open the ICV to an incorrect value and the revs will climb and climb as before. If it does this then you know for sure it is the ECU at fault.

Let us know how you get on.

Mate , i got a standard untouched williams ecu running my renault 9 .
    I wanted to have a 2nd one for my chamade which is now fitted with f7r ,dont like swapping ecus every so many days . So borrowing an ecu from a guy called mat will not help.

I will have a better look at it on wednesday when i am off though .
    Still waiting to hear from KJ16V

Have you tried the ecu/kj chip in the other car?

Quote Originally Posted by midge
    Have you tried the ecu/kj chip in the other car?
    yes mate it does the same in both cars . i got a summeh 180 chip
    with a broken connector on it , i will try to fit it inside the carrier on one of the ecus to see if that makes it idle fine .