Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samfish
    I think my dad said they are 280mm 172 discs. Standard hubs. Standard MC.
    If that's the case I'd quite like to buy a pair of the brackets so I can use 172 discs :D

And me!!

Okey doke. I'll get a price for a batch.

I might be interested too Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Summers
    In my experience the Pagid Blues are OK, but you can get uneven pad material deposits on the discs leading to bad juddering under hard track use.
    Same issue that I have had Jamie. The RS4-2 (blues) were a good pad but just didn't handle really heavy use. After 20 laps of the 'Ring my nearly new pads looked like this (and took the discs out with them - see the crack right across the disc at 3 o'clock):

Replaced with Pagid RS29 (Yellow) which have been great (and I'm sure the AP 330mm discs and AP 6-pots helped too):

(the discs just crack between the holes)
    Common fault with Porsche discs Jamie (in fact all discs that have been drilled, so don't know why Porsche keep fitting them to their cars that are likely to be subject to track use like RS/GT models, etc.):

The drilled ones are always going to wear out through cracks prematurely - I've gone for solid discs on mine now as a result. I presume there is someone making similar for the 964RS.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_b
    I might be interested too Sam.

In my experience the Pagid Blues are OK, but you can get uneven pad material deposits on the discs leading to bad juddering under hard track use.
    Same issue that I have had Jamie. The RS4-2 (blues) were a good pad but just didn't handle really heavy use. After 20 laps of the 'Ring my nearly new pads looked like this (and took the discs out with them - see the crack right across the disc at 3 o'clock):

Replaced with Pagid RS29 (Yellow) which have been great (and I'm sure the AP 330mm discs and AP 6-pots helped too):

(the discs just crack between the holes)
    Common fault with Porsche discs Jamie (in fact all discs that have been drilled, so don't know why Porsche keep fitting them to their cars that are likely to be subject to track use like RS/GT models, etc.):

The drilled ones are always going to wear out through cracks prematurely - I've gone for solid discs on mine now as a result. I presume there is someone making similar for the 964RS.
    No one has really come up with a viable alternative for the 964 RS. The GT3 crowd tend to opt for Alcon floating discs which seem to last much better than the factory option, but I haven't seen anyone offering a 964 RS fitment for a floating disc set up. I'm not prepared to go to the expense of paying for someone to do the R&D to build custom hats. Nor have I come across a solid disc in the right size (bigger than standard 964 C2 / C4), and anyway I'm a bit of a tart and like the look of the holey ones !!!
    There is some debate about having discs cryogenically frozen to prolong their lives, but I'm not sure the cost is justifiable unless doing a big batch.
    As the price of discs continues to rise I imagine there will be more incentive for people to find alternatives.......... In the meantime I'll have to stick with the OE drilled discs.

Anyway, apologies to all, we've gone way off topic here !!!!

Jamie

Not sure if we have mentioned the rear axle much here, how important is it to fit better pads/discs on the rear axle if you upgrade to a 4 pot set-up?
    I know some are using incar bias valves and all but for those with just the option of adjusting the rear bias valves can you offer some suggestions on how aggressive one can go with rear pads or is it a case of testing many different types of pad?

The advice I have had is that the rears do so little work that there is almost no point in upgrading them at all - standard discs, calipers and pads are fine........

The Cup car has a sort of manual bias adjuster on the rear axle, and the idea is to move as much bias rearwards as it takes for the rear brakes to be hot after a session on track, ie hot enough to feel heat radiating from the wheel, but not at smoking /meltdown temp.

I would caveat that this is a recomendation for race use, and as yet I don't have a great deal of experience of how this works in reality or on a road car.

Jamie

Front pads - try Performance Friction 01
    (7752.01.12.44) = part number for the Willwood caliper mentioned earlier.

They are brilliant... Pedal feel is good, works from cold, makes some noice though, they will not fade!

Michael

So without stating the obvious, stick a fresh set of pads in there and it should help with the pedal travelling further if even a small tad?
    Very much a race spec pad them ones Michael? Not for scenic fitment